SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Lovely! 

Although you know you've watched too many of these when you see the grid fins deploy and think 'yup - those are the new titanium ones', before the commentator manages to get a word in. :) 

1 hour ago, KSK said:

Lovely! 

Although you know you've watched too many of these when you see the grid fins deploy and think 'yup - those are the new titanium ones', before the commentator manages to get a word in. :) 

those were the titanium ones? they looked normal...or maybe I am thinking the titanium ones look like the non-titanium ones

On 04/09/2017 at 4:13 PM, Elthy said:

The X-37B is a payload, not the second stage.

BTW: What happened to the extra pictures Elon promised us? " More in days to follow. " doesnt sound like several weeks...

Oh, I know it is... but some duck tape, and a LOT of craft glue and anything is possible.

Oh, also I think I have those grid fins at home... we use them to mash potatoes!

Edited by Technical Ben

11 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

The titanium ones are also significantly thicker.

Don't think so, more about the angle of the photo, the titanium should be thinner as its an far stronger material. Look at the left edge as its straight on.  

36 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

The whole point of a grid fin is that it has to be thick, otherwise it's not a fin.

fin need to be of some size yes, however the material thinness is unimportant, you can make them of sheet metal if it can handle the load.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_fin#/media/File:MOAB_grid_fins.jpg
Yes the falcon 9 ones need to handle reentry heat so they need to be far more sturdy. the raised cross sections is probably for better supersonic handling. 
Main surprise is how thin they are. 

4 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Don't think so, more about the angle of the photo, the titanium should be thinner as its an far stronger material. Look at the left edge as its straight on.  

I meant thickness of the airfoil structure, not thickness of the titanium metal pieces. 

Thicker = protrudes farther from the edge of the stage. The mini-airfoils have a longer chord length.

The titanium airfoils are not only longer, catching a greater cross-sectional area of the airstream, but they are also "thicker" and thus provide a longer path for air to flow through, increasing the amount of lift they can effect.

12 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I meant thickness of the airfoil structure, not thickness of the titanium metal pieces. 

Thicker = protrudes farther from the edge of the stage. The mini-airfoils have a longer chord length.

The titanium airfoils are not only longer, catching a greater cross-sectional area of the airstream, but they are also "thicker" and thus provide a longer path for air to flow through, increasing the amount of lift they can effect.

Understand, easy to get confused here also because of language, thinness I think of as width mostly, with your thickness would be my depth.
The titanium also has an structure there the intersections has points. has not seen this on other grind fins. 

19 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Understand, easy to get confused here also because of language, thinness I think of as width mostly, with your thickness would be my depth.
The titanium also has an structure there the intersections has points. has not seen this on other grind fins. 

Ah, gotcha.

We should standardize.

grid_fins.png

Yeah, it should be depth. The point of grid fins are to minimise weight and increasing area, so thinness of the materials isn't a problem - in fact you want it - but you want some, or a lot, of depth.

Anyway, I think SpaceX have found a neat way to distract people from noting where classified payloads go. Would it make them more favorable from DoD ? :wink:

Edited by YNM

30 minutes ago, YNM said:

Anyway, I think SpaceX have found a neat way to distract people from noting where classified payloads go. Would it make them more favorable from DoD ? :wink:

I'm sure there are lots of space jockeys out there tracking the X-37B now.

Aaaaaand based on discussions over at the NSF forums, these are the aluminum grid fins, not the titanium ones after all. Looks like the commentator misspoke.

Surprised, because I thought this was supposed to be a Block 4 rocket. Maybe they just had extra aluminum grid fins and wanted to burn through them (literally?) on low-stress launches like this one?