SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

6 hours ago, monophonic said:

Are those anti-pidgeon spikes attached on a strip to the grid fin? :0.0::huh:

It's a giant pipe cleaner, to scrub the crust off all those little holes. (Just kidding, I have no idea what that does)

Maybe it's just to keep the fin in the deployed position while it's horizontal.

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

It's a giant pipe cleaner, to scrub the crust off all those little holes. (Just kidding, I have no idea what that does)

Maybe it's just to keep the fin in the deployed position while it's horizontal.

It'll be one of those new-fangled aerospike thingies. :) 

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

omigod I think I just died

Looking at the top -- I don't see a round nose cone. Did they scrap the automatically opening/closing fairing?

dunno, maybe it's just a quickly made sculpture but they forgot about the nose cone and they just went on with their lives.

9 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

omigod I think I just died

Looking at the top -- I don't see a round nose cone. Did they scrap the automatically opening/closing fairing?

Wait. I thought that diching propulsive landing ment no super-dracos. Or are they still on for LES and orbital burns?

1 hour ago, Mighty1 said:

Wait. I thought that diching propulsive landing ment no super-dracos. Or are they still on for LES and orbital burns?

LES. Orbital maneuvers will be conducted with the Draco thrusters, I think. 

13 hours ago, Cuky said:

I just noticed that the helmet looks exactly like the helmet in the ITS animation from last year :cool:

Edited by TheEpicSquared

3 hours ago, Mighty1 said:

They are still necessary for LES. Dragon uses the small Draco thrusters for orbital manoeuvres.

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

But seriously, I can't wait to fly into space in these xD

In all honesty, from what I've seen of the control panel inside it seems like a pretty straightforward thing to pilot, at least as far as spacecraft go. 

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

In all honesty, from what I've seen of the control panel inside it seems like a pretty straightforward thing to pilot, at least as far as spacecraft go. 

The Grey Dragon flight will be on complete autopilot, no human intervention needed. Even if human intervention is needed, it'll be done by controllers in Hawthorne, not the passengers.

I always wondered how these guys were supposed to fight and defend their Emperor in getups like these? I mean: ridiculously oversized helmets with small visors and no neck mobility? Flowing capes reaching almost to the ground? Even if dudes in red could use the Force to their advantage, it still would be like fighting while wrapped in a small tent and head inside a bucket. No one pointed it out to Lucas?

2 hours ago, Scotius said:

I always wondered how these guys were supposed to fight and defend their Emperor in getups like these? I mean: ridiculously oversized helmets with small visors and no neck mobility? Flowing capes reaching almost to the ground? Even if dudes in red could use the Force to their advantage, it still would be like fighting while wrapped in a small tent and head inside a bucket. No one pointed it out to Lucas?

They're just ceremonial. Everyone knows the Emperor can handle himself in a fight. :P

Edited by Mitchz95

5 hours ago, Scotius said:

The rule of cool man, the rule of cool. Something SpaceX clearly takes to heart.

29 minutes ago, Grand Ship Builder said:

So basically, SuperDracos won't be used for propulsive landings, but they will still be used for deorbiting and as a launch escape system. Right?

As a LES, but not as a de-orbit system. I think they will still use normal Dracos for that seeing as the cargo version won't have SuperDracos at all.

13 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

As a LES, but not as a de-orbit system. I think they will still use normal Dracos for that seeing as the cargo version won't have SuperDracos at all.

Y'all sure about that? The thing's already got 8 engines, another four would be a lot of extra weight. Seems more reasonable to just use one pair of the SuperDrakes, maybe throttled down, for orbital meanuevers...

am I going to be the first to say this? cool!

SES-10 and Iridium-L3 are going to be only 2 days apart, granted they ARE on the opposite side of the country, but still important

EDIT: ALSO WE ARE ONLY 4 FLIGHTS AND 2 MONTHS AWAY FROM FALCON HEAVY LAUNCH (I hope)

Edited by StupidAndy