SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

13 hours ago, tater said:

WHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY did they go back to km/h? Christ, these webcasts are just downright terrible! PICK ONE AND STICK WITH IT.

3 hours ago, Rocketthrust said:

I watched it during US History, my teacher didn't notice :)

Each one of these flights should be a part of your history class. :cool: And test material.

Me, I slept through the whole thing. ;.;

Damn... watching the footage now... I just love how they fire the engines halfway thru flipping for the boostnack burn. So Kerbal. :cool: I wonder if that helps with settling the propellants, too?

and dat plume doe as it flies backwards thru it in near vacuum.  :o

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

23 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Is that... normal? That almost looked like some kind of leak from the cooling loop above the engine bell? :0.0:

I haven't yet seen a launch that didn't have any little "Ice Monsters" (thank you Chris B, calling them that from now on) floating away after engine cutoff.

1 minute ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

Last time they used other speed unit than km/h in their webcasts was NROL-76 with m/s???

And they've used mp/h way back in the day and then switched to km/h before going to m/s and now they're back on km/h.

WHAT THE HELL SPACE-X MAKE UP YOUR DAMN MIND

1 minute ago, regex said:

And they've used mp/h way back in the day and then switched to km/h before going to m/s and now they're back on km/h.

AFAIK all missions after NROL-76 to this day used km/h, that's exactly what i said lol... but k

ofc m/s rules #1

Edited by TheDestroyer111

15 minutes ago, regex said:

I thought you were complaining it wasn't km/s or m/s, lol. 

1 minute ago, tater said:

I thought you were complaining it wasn't km/s or m/s, lol. 

I'd prefer something per second so I don't have to translate in my head, since that's what I "grew up with", but whatever. Space-X gonna "maverick" or something, next launch will be in cubits per minute, you wait.

3 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

kellikams/rep (had to look that up)

Isn't that totally banana which unit they use for display ?

Damn you Klingon sympathizer!

Per above -- A Jupiter is a unit of planetary mass, an Amazon is a unit of volumetric flow, a daraf is an inverse Farad, a hiroshima is a unit of energy, and both electrons and faradays are units of charge. So Jupiter-Amazons*daraf2 / hiroshimas3 electron-faradays2 simplifies to kg*m3*s/J3*F2*C4, for which simplifying to meters per second is left as an exercise for the reader.

Of course seconds are a unit of distance thanks to the definition of c, so m/s really simplifies to a unitless value.

4 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Damn you Klingon sympathizer!

Per above -- A Jupiter is a unit of planetary mass, an Amazon is a unit of volumetric flow, a daraf is an inverse Farad, a hiroshima is a unit of energy, and both electrons and faradays are units of charge. So Jupiter-Amazons*daraf2 / hiroshimas3 electron-faradays2 simplifies to kg*m3*s/J3*F2*C4, for which simplifying to meters per second is left as an exercise for the reader.

Of course seconds are a unit of distance thanks to the definition of c, so m/s really simplifies to a unitless value.

There should also be a Real time/Elon time transition constant somewhere in that equation.

6 hours ago, sh1pman said:

There should also be a Real time/Elon time transition constant somewhere in that equation.

n - where n is a constant of proportionality that must be determined by experiment.

I've split 7 pages worth of colonization discussion off into it's own thread.

If you think your post was moved in error or didn't get moved, then report it and write why you think it should be moved to the other thread (or back here).