SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

4 hours ago, tater said:

I see FH as a dead end, but the dual RTLS landing will be spectacular.

More or less-ish. I can almost see it being useful, and it would have been more useful if:

• F9 hadn't been upgraded so much.
  • BFR wasn't supposed to fly NET 4-ish years from now.

But, I guess it's one of those things... If 95% of the money has already been spent, you might as well fly it... (also the case for SLS to a certain extent).

Also looking forward to the double RTLS.

Hi,

There was some discussion back in May on the reusability of F9 and the economics around it.  When the first reused F9 was used, I seem to recall that they swapped/upgraded more than what would be considered normal, for good reasons. Since then, I haven't seen any comments on whether they are refurbishing less and less with the next two reusable launches, to get closer to their planned model and there planned cost savings. Does anyone know that info of if there has been any comments from Spacex?

Thanks

Hi,

where can I find recoverd landing video. Not the launch broadcast, but video from drone ship/1st stage recovered without that missing parts or lags? I heard its somewhere, but can't find any...everywhere is just the broadcasts.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Hi,

There was some discussion back in May on the reusability of F9 and the economics around it.  When the first reused F9 was used, I seem to recall that they swapped/upgraded more than what would be considered normal, for good reasons. Since then, I haven't seen any comments on whether they are refurbishing less and less with the next two reusable launches, to get closer to their planned model and there planned cost savings. Does anyone know that info of if there has been any comments from Spacex?

Thanks

They’ve been learning. :wink:

The lessons from these first reuses are being incorporated into the new Block 5 boosters set to start flying next year.  Those should be able to go 10 launches with zero refurb, and “many” more with refurb. 

2 minutes ago, tater said:

Block 5 has mods for reuse that they say will result in virtually no refurbishment for ~10 launches.

Potato-ninja strikes again. :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Toonu said:

Hi,

where can I find recoverd landing video. Not the launch broadcast, but video from drone ship/1st stage recovered without that missing parts or lags? I heard its somewhere, but can't find any...everywhere is just the broadcasts.

Thanks!

For which flight? As far as I know, we’re still waiting on the HD release of the landing footage from the last two launches. 

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

They’ve been learning. :wink:

The lessons from these first reuses are being incorporated into the new Block 5 boosters set to start flying next year.  Those should be able to go 10 launches with zero refurb, and “many” more with refurb. 

Potato-ninja strikes again. :ph34r:

For which flight? As far as I know, we’re still waiting on the HD release of the landing footage from the last two launches. 

Any flight that has landed... I always watched only official broadcast which has some lags and was looking for recovered on-board stored tape :D

31 minutes ago, Toonu said:

Any flight that has landed... I always watched only official broadcast which has some lags and was looking for recovered on-board stored tape :D

Search for SpaceX landings on YouTube, you’ll find plenty of old and new stuff there. A few good compilations, too. :)

29 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

This is the point where I whine about not seeing any Bulgariasat first stage landing footage.

Preach. -_-