SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

10 minutes ago, KSK said:

Currently cooking dinner with the launch theme from Apollo 13 playing in the background! Love the music, hope it doesn't turn out to be a bad omen. :) 

In the background here, my son is humming Star Wars music while assembling S-II of his LEGO Saturn V, lol.

2 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Edit: Fully vertical now.DSJE43-X4AAmiOy?format=jpg&name=small

Behold, O ye of little faith! It rises! :confused:

Lo, it was written: a seagull shall herald the coming... something something... naw, it’s way too early *yawn* dats coo doe

...aaaand there go all my likes for the day, too. 

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

54 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

MY HYPE IS MAXIMUM

102:43:32 Armstrong: No problem.

102:43:33 Aldrin: 60 degrees, up at 4. 

102:43:35 Aldrin: 67, three and a half up. (Pause)

102:43:42 Aldrin: Okay, you're pegged on hype...

Edited by KSK

The more I look at this thing on the pad, the less it looks like an SHLV. I don't think we're getting any huge LEO payloads out of it, at least not any time soon. OTOH it will offer some superb masses to GTO and beyond for pretty cheap, so there's that. I assume there are plans for a much larger fairing? How wide can it get?

My dreams of LEO workshops now rest on New Glenn.

Just now, regex said:

The more I look at this thing on the pad, the less it looks like an SHLV. I don't think we're getting any huge LEO payloads out of it, at least not any time soon. OTOH it will offer some superb masses to GTO and beyond for pretty cheap, so there's that. I assume there are plans for a much larger fairing? How wide can it get?

This has always been my point regarding mass to LEO. The only payload not volume limited is propellant.

2 minutes ago, regex said:

The total mass to LEO has always seemed like an academic argument. I've heard lots of times that the fairings are about the size of a regular bus, which sounds big, but consider that an actual bus only weighs 10-15000 kg.

1 minute ago, DMagic said:

The total mass to LEO has always seemed like an academic argument. I've heard lots of times that the fairings are about the size of a regular bus, which sounds big, but consider that an actual bus only weighs 10-15000 kg.

Yeah, I agree on that point, but my point is that if you're going to claim "super-heavy launch vehicle" then put something "super-heavy" into orbit. Don't get me wrong, Falcon Heavy is going to be a joy to watch, I honestly can't wait to see it go, and it's going to make oodles of money for Space-X, it's just disappointing in the lifting department.

1 hour ago, CastleKSide said:

Can we declare Delta 4 outdated now or do we have to wait?

No! Oh, come on. Delta IV Heavy is awesome. It's power personified :D. At least let's wait until the first successful flight of Falcon Heavy to proclaim  it as the new Vice-King of Rockets. King of course being Saturn V.