SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

28 minutes ago, PB666 said:

There are economical reasons even if you just don't want see them.

One is that economic cost of BFR dev = ~10 * (economic cost SH)
SH could be three years away, BFR could be 10 years away.
Money is money and time is money. Or to think of it like this, if the rate of borrowed money on risky adventures is 10% and you are borrowing for 10 years prior to a productive payback, your cost have doubled.

Whats going to happen to spaceX when the F9 markets starts to dry up when real competion begins. . . .go smaller, looks like Bezos and a few other are targeting that market.
Go to BFR, Which I repeat over and over again . . 100% concept, my prediction, nothing about BFR stated today will be what it is when, if and when, it becomes a reality.
Realities are never identical to concepts, if they were we would all driving around in cars that look like Batmobiles and fly like the jetsons car.

I think you guys are totally hung up on what you want to be and not on the realities of the marketplace. Mars is not a marketplace, the only marketplace right now is a sample return mission which, if it were to occur, would likely be unmanned.

Guys, sorry to have pulled you out of your Mars dream bubble, go back into . . . .we will see what comes to past in 6 years or so.

BFR is a concept, like a said if all concepts became things we would driving batmobiles that fly and can refold into a suitcase.

And you’re going to use this falcon super heavy for... what? Where’s money in that? You’re mentioning markets, but where’s the market for SHLVs? It’s practically nonexistent, aside from some semi-fictional government programs that may or may not still exist in 3 years time. 

BFR is a concept, but it’s a pretty solid concept already, and, well, everything has to start from a concept. I’m not even talking about Mars now, BFR can make a killing launching stuff to LEO, GEO and to the Moon. There is an economic sense in it, unlike in Falcon super duper heavy. Ability to colonize Mars is an added bonus, but not the most important one.

1 hour ago, PB666 said:

Mars is not a marketplace

With Musk's estimation of $500,000 for moving to Mars, there are millions of people who could go(remember, they could sell all their stuff.)                                     

8 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

With Musk's estimation of $500,000 for moving to Mars, there are millions of people who could go(remember, they could sell all their stuff.)                                     

Assuming there are enough people who want to go, which remains to be seen. I'd like to think there are, but it's impossible to know until the time comes.

26 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

But if you liquidate your entire net worth, you'd have nothing left over for living once you get there. Is Musk planning to include housing and life support in the ticket price?

Oh, follow up... because I'm on the other side of the state, we usually have about 50-60 seconds after launch before we see anything from here... which gives me just enough time to know it's off the pad before I have to head outside.

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

Curse you, daily like limit! :mad:

You're welcome for that, by the way.

In a less meta note, IIRC, Grumman's LEM was the only Apollo component to never suffer a significant mission failure, and notable performed brilliantly on Apollo 13. Wasn't aware they'd stayed in the space business; I might look into them a bit.