SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

11 minutes ago, NSEP said:

If the engines ignite all at once i think Falcon Heavy has an 80% chance of succes.

*28, upper stage, I know these are not test fired all along but there're engines.

Edited by YNM

If Falcon Heavy does not do the static fire in January will fart out my soul, or i will ignite my methane fueled Raptor Engine.

I hope they do the Static fire or the launch on valentines day. Valentines day is the day where i feel sad because i don't have a loved one, and Falcon Heavy can make me ignore that sadness. 

Edited by NSEP

13 minutes ago, PB666 said:

29 if you consider the engine in the Tesla, (Ka-ching!!!!!)

Well, if we're being pedantic we have to consider the 80 cold-gas thrusters FH mounts. We're talking 109 engines, which I think beats the standing record as held by Saturn V/Apollo.

But that's if we're being pedantic.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

1 minute ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Well, if we're being pedantic, the Tesla has 4 engines in it. That, plus, er... 80 cold-gas thrusters? We're talking 102 engines, which I think beats the standing record as held by Saturn V/Apollo.

Yeah, that's good too, it confuses the hell out of people who are just anticipating that 3 x 9 = 27 or 28 or 32 or 102. Cause, like, you know, you wouldn't turn on a second stage engine or a car engine when your intent is to fire the first stage engines only.

10 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

While we're being pedantic, the Tesla has (had?) a motor, not an engine.

Oh yes, and so we can throw in a variable definition of an engine. " An engine or motor is a machine designed to convert one form of energy into mechanical energy." with modern usages as you stated that apply.

I bet the tesla had electric windows . . . . .

Edited by PB666

51 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Well, if we're being pedantic we have to consider the 80 cold-gas thrusters FH mounts. We're talking 109 engines, which I think beats the standing record as held by Saturn V/Apollo.

Hmm... I can only think of 87 rocket engines/motors on an Apollo Saturn V... so I think you are correct.

Edited by Brotoro

20 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

According to SpaceChick Vintage Space, it was 83, and she usually knows her stuff... <_<

Upon second count, I also get 83. I was staring at my Estes Saturn V model on the shelf while counting up all the engines/motors, and I forgot that the later Saturn V flights only used 4 separation motors on the the interstage between the S-IC/S-II instead of the 8 shown on my model.

Edited by Brotoro

1 hour ago, IncongruousGoat said:

N1?

So the surprise of Falcon Heavy was the Tesla Roadster test payload, would the Dragon V2 also have a surprise, like, maybe a Kerbal Plushie as a g-force indicator? Or are g-force indication plushies just some Russian thing?

I dont think N1 had as many control thrusters as Saturn V, It didnt need ullage control because of hot-staging and nothing on it is used more than once except the service module and lander, and because they had multiple main engines for roll control on the third stage, which negates the need for RCS thrusters on it, unlike the S-IVb.

Getting back to FH, are we sure that the static fire is going on today? I got a tweet from spaceflight now I think saying it was getting pushed to Feb., or was that just the launch?

Edited by .50calBMG

4 minutes ago, .50calBMG said:

Getting back to FH, are we sure that the static fire is going on today? I got a tweet from spaceflight now I think saying it was getting pushed to Feb., or was that just the launch?

WDR today, no hot fire till at least Monday is what I’ve heard. Launch is still possibly this month according to SFN, tho internally I’m sure that’s skipped into Feb. 

11 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

I don't know... Wikipedia says here that they are launching Musk's 2009 Roadster, and it says here that that model only has one motor driving the wheels...

I stand corrected. I assumed they'd use direct drive, never bothered to check that they are in fact geared. AWD are only 2 motors, not 4, as well.

19 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

I don't know... Wikipedia says here that they are launching Musk's 2009 Roadster, and it says here that that model only has one motor driving the wheels...

Yep  " The Roadster is powered by a 3-phase, 4-pole, induction electric motor with a maximum output power of 185 kW (248 hp).[102] "

Hey, but we still have the motors for the power windows. Also we can include the motors for the grid fins . . . .there are twelve of them (or 6)

Edited by PB666