SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

6 hours ago, PB666 said:

29 if you consider the engine in the Tesla, (Ka-ching!!!!!)

I don't care how many truck engines is on a ship carrying trucks. They don't contribute to the thing being a ship.

Side thrusters do count, but given their simplicity, it's not very exciting...

Edited by YNM

1 hour ago, YNM said:

I don't care how many truck engines is on a ship carrying trucks. They don't contribute to the thing being a ship.

Side thrusters do count, but given their simplicity, it's not very exciting...

But the gods of counting engines and motors care. :cool:

Theoretically, if SpaceX had it finished and decided to test FH at Boca Chica, could they test it from there in spite of the shutdown because its a private launch site, or would it still be a no-go because they are testing orbit class boosters that the government can and has used or will use?

Edited by .50calBMG

9 minutes ago, NSEP said:

When does this government shutdown end?

When they pass a continuing resolution.

It doesn’t affect anyone except for stuff like this. If I wasn’t interested in FH, like most people they could shutdown forever, and I’d not notice. 

Thisnis a good argument for Boca Chica.

1 minute ago, tater said:

It doesn’t affect anyone except for stuff like this. If I wasn’t interested in FH, like most people they could shutdown forever, and I’d not notice. 

Was just gonna ask this. Once BC is running, will SpaceX essentially be running their own range there, or will they still be reliant on the USAF somehow?

16 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Was just gonna ask this. Once BC is running, will SpaceX essentially be running their own range there, or will they still be reliant on the USAF somehow?

You’d think that ideally anything involving operational FAA stuff would be essential. That or buy off some other country and launch from there.

Edited by tater

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

BC is between them, Cameroon county and the State of Texas. 12 miles out is US jurisdiction out to 200. Thus mostly internal affairs, legal beagles, the shipping lanes and laws that pertain to international shipping. 

17 hours ago, tater said:

Do you know is there any typical order of magnitude what to expect? Has this kind of shutdowns lasted days, weeks or even months?

22 hours ago, PB666 said:

It is not long time ago when time constant was half year. Hopefully this is a modern version of Zeno's paradox, story of Achilles and the tortoise. There will be some time what can not be exceeded and launch actually happens in finite time. Future generations will probably call it as Musk's paradox.

20 minutes ago, Hannu2 said:

Do you know is there any typical order of magnitude what to expect? Has this kind of shutdowns lasted days, weeks or even months?

Record is 21 days, but it could technically end anytime.  Looks like Falcon Heavy is 6 months weeks days weeks away!