SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

37 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Good!

I thought this whole government shutdown thing would last 3 weeks and delay Falcon Heavy by 2 months or something.

The gov will shut down again on the 8th.  They probably are going to try to launch by then.  

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ignore government gridlock, upvote new Curie engine! :D

idn’it cute?

LV-1 Ant Liquid Fuel Engine

"What is this, an engine for ants?"

I guess his attempt to post this in the correct thread was...

*sunglasses*

...a catastrophic failure :cool:

On topic: Matt Desch is planning to keep SpaceX plenty busy.

Iridium is planning to launch batch five of its next-generation constellation on March 18th... and from then on, leave only an average five weeks between launches until all remaining satellites are up there. There are launch providers who don't fly this kind of cadence for all of their customers combined - and SpaceX will do it for just one among many!

The upcoming flight will also use a pre-flown booster. And just like flight 4, which reused the core from flight 2, flight 5 will also reuse a core from a past Iridium flight (#3 in this case). Looks like the first time was not just a coincidence - Iridium looks to be specifically trying to get cores from its own flights. Using hardware they know they can trust, probably. :) 

Edited by Streetwind

23 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

In other news it looks like I might be going down to Florida from the 5th to the 11th or so; hopefully the FH launch happens around then...

Nooo! Test it today, and launch it this weekend!  Seriously, if it doesn't get launched by Monday, I hope it'll hold until you are there.

48 minutes ago, Dartguy said:

Nooo! Test it today, and launch it this weekend!  Seriously, if it doesn't get launched by Monday, I hope it'll hold until you are there.

They're saying that if static fire goes well launch will be on the 6th. Can't wait.

16 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

hmm. This might actually happen...

Who's ready to see the biggest spacefart we have seen in 45 years?

Edited by NSEP