SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

36 minutes ago, Canopus said:

You could also just watch the recorded video later.

Thats what i do most at the time. For me the US launches are always going on late at night. So i either stay up late if its special or go watch the replay if its not very special.

I was setting up the table for dinner when the Falcon Heavy static fire happend, but i wasn't disappointed at all, i just waited for the replay to pop up.

11 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Possible new information (not FH-related): according to SpaceFlightNow, the launch of the Paz satellite on the 10th out of Vandy will be on a reflown booster (so will GovSat on Tuesday), IIRC this will also be the first West coast RTLS. 

Paz on a reflown booster has been known since at least November, and not only is it not RTLS'ing it will be expended.

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Do you have a source on that? I thought it was GovSat that was flying expendable?

somewhere on NSF/reddit. It's because it's block 3 and previously flown. Hispasat 30W will be expended because it's heavy and Govsat-1 because it's block 3 reuse.

Edited by Kerbal01

21 hours ago, tater said:

Looks just like Elon Musk’s boring company flamethrower minus the plastic gun part. And not $600.

Wait, can't you just get a bottle of propane, a hollow cylinder of metal, and a spark producer?  Yeah, this is a ripoff.  

27 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

Wait, can't you just get a bottle of propane, a hollow cylinder of metal, and a spark producer?  Yeah, this is a ripoff.  

No, it’s quite a brilliant tool to raise funds. :wink: Flamethrowers are so much more entertaining than shares of stock, and more likely to maintain value, too.:D 

Also: 

elon-musk-flamethrower-designboom-600.gi

“Do you expect me to talk?”

”No, Mistah Bond, I expect you to fry...”

2 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

somewhere on NSF/reddit. It's because it's block 3 and previously flown. Hispasat 30W will be expended because it's heavy and Govsat-1 because it's block 3 reuse.

Google seems to be failing me, I’m not seeing anything but conjecture. PAZ is very light, which would give plenty of margin for a first-on-this-pad RTLS Test. OTOH, with a full-length burn they might be able to glean some useful data about reentry at Falcon Heavy core speeds. 

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

No, it’s quite a brilliant tool to raise funds. :wink: Flamethrowers are so much more entertaining than shares of stock, and more likely to maintain value, too.:D 

Also: 

elon-musk-flamethrower-designboom-600.gi

“Do you expect me to talk?”

”No, Mistah Bond, I expect you to fry...”

Google seems to be failing me, I’m not seeing anything but conjecture. PAZ is very light, which would give plenty of margin for a first-on-this-pad RTLS Test. OTOH, with a full-length burn they might be able to glean some useful data about reentry at Falcon Heavy core speeds. 

I wonder how many of the flame throwers you would have to strap together to make and F9 rocket?

Edited by PB666

2 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Can't you do this with any blowtorch ?

Definitely not. Blowtorches are far too small to produce an effect like that of the Boring Company flamethrower. They're precision tools used to rapidly heat a small area, not weapons designed to make things catch fire.

2 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Definitely not. Blowtorches are far too small to produce an effect like that of the Boring Company flamethrower. They're precision tools used to rapidly heat a small area, not weapons designed to make things catch fire.

You can misuse one though. The video I linked earlier uses them - that's why they can get both a steady flame and an "explosion".

Off-topic gag

So, I hear there’s a rocket launch tomorrow. ‘Bout 1:25 PST/4:24EST/21:25 GMT :cool: 

No booster recovery. ;.;

It would seem, out of three regularly scheduled launches this month, no boosters are getting recovered. 

SpaceX has officially made booster recovery “normal.”

29 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Pity they can't give them away as like museum pieces or lawn art or something...

I think they have some for their own already ?

I'm sure if their recovery rate went past the roof (again) in the future they can set aside some stuff.

7 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Technically more a flamemaker than a flamethrower.

Yeah. This would be a flame-thrower instead.

Edited by YNM

44 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Pity they can't give them away as like museum pieces or lawn art or something...

Anyone in California want to give SpaceX the coordinates to their frontyard. Imagine the look of the neighbors when that thing parks in your driveway.