SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

12 minutes ago, Jaff said:

So when is block 5 going to be a thing where we get 10 reuses from a booster and there’s a rare opportunity of actually expending a booster? 

According to Wikipedia the first scheduled B5 launch is in April for Iridium Next 51-55

3 hours ago, RCgothic said:

According to Wikipedia the first scheduled B5 launch is in April for Iridium Next 51-55

And since Iridium is really itching to have its own pre-flown boosters on future missions, I'm really hoping that SpaceX will try to demonstrate block 5's rapid reusability by reusing it for the next Iridium flight one month later as well... it's probably a little too aggressive to be realistic, but still :P 

7 hours ago, Jaff said:

So when is block 5 going to be a thing where we get 10 reuses from a booster and there’s a rare opportunity of actually expending a booster? 

In that setting it would makes sense to keep the old ones for missions there you can not do reuse because of too heavy payload however this might be rare and they plan to use falcon heavy for this. 

How do you think SpaceX will land their second stage? I think it is almost impossible, but it may be done. The reasons that make this so hard is because it's reentry speed is much higher that the 1st stage because it has to go to a geo stationary orbit, if I am correct. So it will just burn up upon reentry. Also, control is very difficult, and upon reentry, it will be unstable. Also the engine is meant for a vacuum, not in the atmosphere. The final reason is that the stage will not have enough fuel to de-orbit and land.One possibility is to smack a heat shield in front of that stage, for the reentry heat, add strong RCS thrusters for stability and control, add landing legs radially near the top, and add a second pair of landing engine in a similar position of the landing legs. Adding more fuel would get more delta V for landing. Like this. Click the link

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1oUUP11usyqpdFZRUMCYzc0mrS-jviJhm1ZwX0iHl4sM/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by JEB'S DESTINY

6 minutes ago, JEB'S DESTINY said:

How do you think SpaceX will land their second stage? I think it is almost impossible, but it may be done. The reasons that make this so hard is because it's reentry speed is much higher that the 1st stage because it has to go to a geo stationary orbit, if I am correct. So it will just burn up upon reentry. Also, control is very difficult, and upon reentry, it will be unstable. Also the engine is meant for a vacuum, not in the atmosphere. The final reason is that the stage will not have enough fuel to de-orbit and land.One possibility is to smack a heat shield in front of that stage, for the reentry heat, add strong RCS thrusters for stability and control, add landing legs radially near the top, and add a second pair of landing engine in a similar position of the landing legs. Adding more fuel would get more delta V for landing. Like this. Click the link

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1oUUP11usyqpdFZRUMCYzc0mrS-jviJhm1ZwX0iHl4sM/edit?usp=sharing

The above system has been proposed before, and it might work, but it's very unlikely that SpaceX will ever try this.

1 hour ago, tater said:

Looks like a full rehearsal of ASDS landing, too. In the water. Guess they are using up all the old school legs.

Very odd that they'd dunk legs in the drink for no reason, I think. Maybe they will just be pushing the envelope to try and see what kind of margins they can do and still come out successfully.

For example, trying out a much shorter entry burn?

They may have done something similar with their last west coast launch.

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

Very odd that they'd dunk legs in the drink for no reason, I think. Maybe they will just be pushing the envelope to try and see what kind of margins they can do and still come out successfully.

For example, trying out a much shorter entry burn?

They may have done something similar with their last west coast launch.

Any testing for reentry and landing needs to have as few variables as possible. Landing uses legs, so they get better data with legs. Any improvements in algorithm are helpful, and besides, the block 5 has different legs, they need to use up the old ones.

Regarding Block 5, I'm a bit peeved that for crew missions SpaceX has to fly a finalized launch stack (Block 5) 7 times, Boeing has to fly on a finalized launch stack only once (first unmanned test flight will be the only Atlas V with 2 engine Centaur ever), and LockMart/Airbus get to fly with zero finalized stack preflights.

4 minutes ago, tater said:

Any testing for reentry and landing needs to have as few variables as possible. Landing uses legs, so they get better data with legs. Any improvements in algorithm are helpful, and besides, the block 5 has different legs, they need to use up the old ones.

They flew the last Iridium from Vandy without landing legs, but with grid fins. They did a re-entry burn and a propulsive controlled splashdown.

4 minutes ago, tater said:

Regarding Block 5, I'm a bit peeved that for crew missions SpaceX has to fly a finalized launch stack (Block 5) 7 times, Boeing has to fly on a finalized launch stack only once (first unmanned test flight will be the only Atlas V with 2 engine Centaur ever), and LockMart/Airbus get to fly with zero finalized stack preflights.

It's rather ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Streetwind said:

With a side of pasta and sauce, of course!

Why do you think this mission will fly expendable? It is obviously meant for... *sunglasses* ...consumption :cool:

The Kraken will be fed. He shall dine well on a space stick filled with hydrocarbon residue and covered in a tasty layer of high quality soot. Small addition of nitrogen and helium will provide interesting tang to the taste. All hail His Tentacleness!