SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

12 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Falcon 9 stronk like bool! :cool:

Maybe they can just sell the barge to Bezos and buy a sleek catamaran instead. 

Elon, a few days from now, having a quiet moment alone with the booster:

”...just when I thought I was finally rid of you...” :sticktongue:

I wonder what they are going to do with it? I doubt they can use it again as its maranized

42 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

HOLY SH*T

Wow.

Just wow.

That is...crazy.

WHAAAAAA?!

38 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That's just awesome. Just when SpaceX is starting to get boring and routine with their flight-proven  F9 launches (which is a good thing, as long as they don't get cocky again like they did with AMOS-6),  they go and do something interesting like this, even if it was unexpected.

57 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I TOTALLY CALLED THAT!

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Wow.

If the engine survives, and the wall can be cleaned and restrengthened, guess they can do away without a barge.

Otherwise, who wants a Falcon 9 booster rocket on their lawn ? Anyone ? I remember someone seeking one...

Edited by YNM

Just now, DAL59 said:

Wait... could a random guy just boat over to it and claim it as salvage?

Given that the whole site was cleared earlier, I think you might have to talk to the navy/coast guard first...

It was a pretty good launch today! Only the wind and the clouds were a bit annoying, but otherwise it was excellent!

Also, I don't know if it could be related a less effective com, or if the fact that the booster was not supposed to land back at Cap Canaveral, but the spotting sites were desert today. Where I was, only three others persons were actually taking pictures, and about 50 others were standing on the bleachers.

To compare, the place was absolutely full for GEO-4 and ZUMA.

Here are some pictures of today's firework:

Aviscza.png

Spoiler

PdwavfQ.png

DpHdHWF.png

ObJNNlN.png

T3mfFm8.png

nxgASkA.png?1

sS80TOp.png

And it was not totally over, as the usual guys from the Army were coming back from their local patrol:

ekTRkWX.jpg

avbOhZB.png

9 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Are you telling me the Navy is going to salvage it and make it into a destroyer?

Haha ! Sounds very fun :P I mean they're going to identify stuff first before re-opening the area, and they can "tag" the booster to ensure it can be cleaned from the sea (and scrapped), it's a guess but I'm pretty sure they have such protocols. Ofc that means the owner (SpX) is very likely to still hold ownership, they are free to do whatever after the thing is brought to shore.

I mean, how did they respond for debris of failed rockets ? They have to somehow collect and clean them from the area right ? Or is it just left scattered under the sea (that doesn't sound healthy)...

13 minutes ago, YNM said:

mean, how did they respond for debris of failed rockets ? They have to somehow collect and clean them from the area right ? Or is it just left scattered under the sea (that doesn't sound healthy)...

Yes, the sea bed off the coast is quite littered with the remains of old rockets. It’s a veritable graveyard, the fish & corals love it (once the toxic fuels finally wash away). Most rockets don’t come down so... intact, so it’s right to Davey Jones’ locker with ‘em. 

ETA: they’ve actually pulled up some bits. There’s a real recovered F1 from a Saturn Launch at the Boeing Museum of Flight right now.  

But in this case... doesn’t maritime salvage law kick in at some point? Could Jeff Bezos just pop up next to it in a submarine and be all, “dis mine now!”? 

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Contract: Test LT-2 landing strut splashed down at Earth

Oh, what a time to have run out of likes... :rolleyes:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

41 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

Wait... could a random guy just boat over to it and claim it as salvage?

To the best of my knowledge: no. On currently owned property*, you can't even try to salvage it without permission from the legal owner. If you do get permission, you are automatically entitled to a reward, either specified at the time by the owner, or later by a court, so if SpaceX wanted to, they could offer a salvage reward.

*Not sure what the legalities are for stuff like ancient shipwrecks.

Otherwise, I doubt that booster will ever fly again (not only is it an old version of the first stage, it's now hit saltwater), but I expect Musk's engineers to inspect every square millimeter of that thing to divine the secret to booster immortality.

I almost died of laughter when I saw Elon’s tweet about the booster.

SpaceX can’t even launch an expandable rocket when they try! Awesome that they continue to test landing profiles even when there’s no barge to actually land the rocket.

I wonder what benefits “very high retrothust” would provide.