SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Crap... brb, gotta go kill a butterfly...

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I blinked

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-173

Anyway, what happened to the fairing recovery boats?  Was that not for this mission?  

Didn't we see gas thrusters when the fairing separated?

34 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-173

Anyway, what happened to the fairing recovery boats?  Was that not for this mission?  

Didn't we see gas thrusters when the fairing separated?

I’m guessing the Steve-O was really on scene in case they had to tow a booster back...

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

I’m guessing the Steve-O was really on scene in case they had to tow a booster back...

Why did they not catch the fairings though?

12 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

This is all under maritime international convention (1910 and amended in 1989).  In your case, the UK probably has something similar to the US.  US passed the Abandoned Shipwrecked Act in 1987 which gives title to the United States of any finds within U.S. territorial waters (typically three miles from the coastline) and not the discoverer.  With regards to nation ships, it codifies that no governments ever abandons the S&R efforts for their own vessels.

I'm basing my writing from two ships :

S.S. Richard Montgomery (actually a US ship)

Mary Rose

It's possible for territorial sea to be 12 miles distant along with internal waters.

Marine law isn't exactly a modern law.

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Because they were waiting around in case they had to tow a booster back... <_<

Given that we’ve heard zero about fairing recovery from SpaceX, I’m guessing it’s not quite ready for prime time. 

The fact that we have not heard anything about faring recovery indicates that the fairings where not recovered.   Hard to say if that is due to that they did not try or that they tried and failed.

I think they are holding the fairing recovery cards a little closer to their chest than other reuse since this is something that all their US/EU competitors can do (they all have fairings, and all launch out over the ocean). 

14 minutes ago, tater said:

I think they are holding the fairing recovery cards a little closer to their chest than other reuse since this is something that all their US/EU competitors can do (they all have fairings, and all launch out over the ocean). 

Yes. I guess it's not too expensive to retrofit the fairings to be recoverable. Boosted landing is a hard stuff to do over (except you started with one), but fairing naturally goes slow anyway, adding a tiny drogue or reaction "engines" won't be a hard task.

If they want to keep that small bleeding edge they'll have to keep it under a haze. A large one should be shown instead (like stage recovery).

Edited by YNM

1 hour ago, YNM said:

Yes. I guess it's not too expensive to retrofit the fairings to be recoverable. Boosted landing is a hard stuff to do over (except you started with one), but fairing naturally goes slow anyway, adding a tiny drogue or reaction "engines" won't be a hard task.

If they want to keep that small bleeding edge they'll have to keep it under a haze. A large one should be shown instead (like stage recovery).

Bringing a sodding great rocket back down to Earth is kind of difficult not to spot too

fairing recovery is easy to be vague about - a sooty rocket back on the pad is fairly (amazingly) obvious 

1 hour ago, Jaff said:

fairing recovery is easy to be vague about - a sooty rocket back on the pad is fairly (amazingly) obvious

Yeah, hiding an ant is easier than hiding an elephant. Unless... unless !