SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

If it failed to land, they need to solve the issue.

If it destroyed the ASDS, well... they need to build another.

Seeing as the recovery of spent boosters is not critical to launching a mission, it may be a lower priority than others.  But that said, it is a major reason they are doing this so economically ($90 mil "pr stunt" :) ), so it is a big priority to get that fixed.   But it won't stop customers from buying flight time, as the cost is on the company. 

I doubt it missed the barge, loss of signal on the barges happened before.  It is because the roar of the booster starts swinging the antenna so vividly it can't broadcast anymore. This means the booster has at least been above the barge. 

Just now, hugix said:

I doubt it missed the barge, loss of signal on the barges happened before.  It is because the roar of the booster starts swinging the antenna so vividly it can't broadcast anymore. This means the booster has at least been above the barge. 

No guarantee they did not manually cut the feed if the core lost fuel/alignment due to error/failure or bad weather down from launch. At which point the barge could be fine.

1 minute ago, Ringkeeper said:

rewatched now booster sep about 10 times.... thats sooooo awsome.

That was the bit that I was most worried about, which is prob just because most of my KSP launch fails happen at booster sep.  Was interested to hear that the design was to have a few ms delay between the top and bottom release. 

3 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

Watching the FH launch brings joy... and a certain sadness. I watched so many historic launches, from Apollo through Shuttle, with my dad.

I watched them with my mom, who was the space nut. She sat me up to watch Gemini launches I don't even remember, and every single manned flight from my birth. I think of her with every countdown, she would have loved this.

That's partially why I took my son out of school to watch with me today I think, but your post made me realize it.