SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 minutes ago, Kerbal7 said:

No guy or gal has the 400 billion+ you'd need for a Human landing on Mars. You'd need taxpayers and they won't pay.

Like how taxpayers aren't currently paying for Tesla, SolarCity and more?

1 minute ago, DAL59 said:

He's planning on 2024.  How could something get delayed by a factor of 5, especially now that he just proved the FH works?  

Mind you i'm not even saying it will be spacex. And aren't FH and BFR completely different things?

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

No, No... Don't Panic is a much better reference for a car in space.    I betcha there's a towel in the trunk too. 

Hopefully that displays properly... (you may have to click into the tweet, then the left-hand image to see the towel reference)

Edited by ElWanderer

Just now, Camacha said:

It's amazing how, even in the midst of what may be SpaceX's greatest event this year, people in this thread still manage to wander off topic. :confused:

But man, what great views on that webcast. Too bad the video team screwed up a little by accidentally putting the view from the same booster into both camera slots, but I can only assume that their fingers were shaking :P

The core is likely toast. Doesn't matter, they want block 5 FH stuff, anyway.

Just now, Camacha said:

All the various subsidies combined and counted towards SpaceX still make SpaceX a bargain for NASA. Their own cost calculation formula puts the dev cost of Dragon 1 and 2 and the F9 to deliver to station at more than 10X what they actually spent.

SLS is an example of NASA cost models actually sorta working, or indeed underestimating costs.

Just now, Streetwind said:

It's amazing how, even in the midst of what may be SpaceX's greatest event this year, people in this thread still manage to wander off topic. :confused:

But man, what great views on that webcast. Too bad the video team screwed up a little by accidentally putting the view from the same booster into both camera slots, but I can only assume that their fingers were shaking :P

Especially funny when they said it is definitely footage from two different boosters and seconds later you see them "both" going to same pad :D 

1 minute ago, Streetwind said:

I don't see anyone going off-topic.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

The core is likely toast. Doesn't matter, they want block 5 FH stuff, anyway.

All the various subsidies combined and counted towards SpaceX still make SpaceX a bargain for NASA. Their own cost calculation formula puts the dev cost of Dragon 1 and 2 and the F9 to deliver to station at more than 10X what they actually spent.

SLS is an example of NASA cost models actually sorta working, or indeed underestimating costs.

Be careful not to take my quote out of context. I just pointed to the fact the public is paying for Musk's other projects, so stating he isn't rich enough to go to Mars and that the taxpayer won't pay to make it happen doesn't seem to be accurate. Musk seems to be very good at getting funds for his projects.

I'm not criticizing it, which people seem to think.