SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 minutes ago, katateochi said:

So, apart from the essential modifications to the Tesla (adding a copy of the guide and a towel) what other modifications were made to it. Obviously some mounting points added, but what I'm getting at is, if you got the car back on the ground (an in an atmo), how much would it take to get it running again? Just fuel it up, or did they do other things that would make that harder ? 

I'm wondering if they put a minimal amount of air in the tires, or did they just drill holes in them?

2 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

It's also a will problem. The need to persevere over a long time in the face of challenges and setbacks is something better suited to a nongovernmental entity in the current political climate.

Mr. Musk has shown a great deal of will in this arena.

Mr. Musk is a business man. There is no financial incentive to go to Mars. He won't go. Cost too much.

5 minutes ago, Kerbal7 said:

How can you disagree? The United States and Soviet Union could have put a car into orbit in 1961. Seventy years ago. It's easy to put a car into orbit.

You are technically correct, sending a 2900lb car into orbit is "easy" as far as payloads are concerned, but that's not really the point. The Falcon Heavy launch is not significant for its test payload. They sent a wheel of cheese up in the Falcon 9, but that's not what made it special either. The point is that they now have a proven rocket that is more powerful than anything else currently available, at a fraction of the cost - if the SpaceX estimates are even relatively accurate.

Of course, "easy" in rocket science is still really hard, too.

Just now, Kerbal7 said:

There is no financial incentive to go to Mars. He won't go. Cost too much.

Then why is he investing all this money in doing it?  Its profitability is questionable, but he said the point of all of his companies is to raise money to go to Mars.  

Just now, Kerbal7 said:

Mr. Musk is a business man. There is no financial incentive to go to Mars. He won't go. Cost too much.

At this point it's fairly clear that Musk does whatever he pleases, and he's fairly good at doing that too.

Musk says he's going to Mars and started a highly experimental, yet successful rocket launch business. Random internet guy says Musk feels it's too expensive. I don't know, it's a tough choice, but I'm inclined to believe the billionaire wonder boy here.

2 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

Then why is he investing all this money in doing it?  Its profitability is questionable, but he said the point of all of his companies is to raise money to go to Mars.  

Mr. Musk is making a lot of money on government contracts. Taxpayers dime. There is no financial incentive to go to Mars. So he won't go. That's why now he is saying no humans will ride on the FH. He doesn't see any money in it. He is a business man. 

Just now, Camacha said:

At this point it's fairly clear that Musk does whatever he pleases, and he's fairly good at doing that too.

Musk says he's going to Mars and started a highly experimental, yet successful rocket launch business. Random internet guy says Musk feels it's too expensive. I don't know, it's a tough choice, but I'm inclined to believe the billionaire wonder boy here.

:D

4 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

You are technically correct, sending a 2900lb car into orbit is "easy" as far as payloads are concerned, but that's not really the point. The Falcon Heavy launch is not significant for its test payload. They sent a wheel of cheese up in the Falcon 9, but that's not what made it special either. The point is that they now have a proven rocket that is more powerful than anything else currently available, at a fraction of the cost - if the SpaceX estimates are even relatively accurate.

Of course, "easy" in rocket science is still really hard, too.

That's exactly what i wanted to say.

10 minutes ago, Canopus said:

On the other hand they plan to start doing grasshopper style launches with the BFR upper stage next year. 
However crew certify BFR will be significantly more work than Falcon heavy because no escape system and new rocket. 
its an thing I'm skeptical to. 

1 minute ago, magnemoe said:

On the other hand they plan to start doing grasshopper style launches with the BFR upper stage next year. 
However crew certify BFR will be significantly more work than Falcon heavy because no escape system and new rocket. 
its an thing I'm skeptical to. 

So they  want to build the whole upper stage in one year? Or just a test vehicle?