SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

6 minutes ago, razark said:

Congrats to Elon Musk for putting the fourth electric car into space.

Yeah, but those other there didn't have air-con, or bluetooth.   But I'm kinda sure they had some form of satnav.   Maybe not....

4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Obvious ROI, no, but long term some of his ventures could turn out to be worth more than all the losing ones combined.  He's just positioning himself to be in the right place at the right time.   While Spacex has to turn a, non or minimal loss lets call it, it will lure many more investors to his other companies.   There is more to be gained from going to mars than just immediate profit. 

The point is that none of these ventures are what regular business logic calls a good investment. If you want to make a buck, you invest in something more traditional and see the money roll in. There seem to be other reasons to make the choice that are being made.

Just now, Camacha said:

The point is that none of these ventures are what regular business logic calls a good investment. If you want to make a buck, you invest in something more traditional and see the money roll in. There seem to be other reasons to make the choice that are being made.

Elon has seemed to make his loving turning normal convention on it's head.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's going to mars just because the naysayers say he can't. 

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

This looks like a landing leg going into the drink, to me:

leg.png

Dang you.... I kept hitting play....

Just now, razark said:

Hey, Cernan and Schmitt even did vehicle repairs on theirs.  Let's see Musk get out there and build a fender!

That's why they included the towel!

4 minutes ago, Flavio hc16 said:

mmm..some says that it didn't start the last burn properly, so to avoid damaging the drone ship they left it crash land at 30 meters from it

That sounds like a controlled and graceful failure. If you're going to fail, that's the best way to do it. I think the Blue Origin rocket does this little sidestep to make sure the landing platform doesn't get hit when there's trouble, I'm not sure about the Falcons.

3 minutes ago, Camacha said:

That sounds like a controlled and graceful failure. If you're going to fail, that's the best way to do it. I think the Blue Origin rocket does this little sidestep to make sure the landing platform doesn't get hit when there's trouble, I'm not sure about the Falcons.

Falcon absolutely does the sidestep. Grid fin guidance targets just to one side of the ASDS, then the landing burn does a yaw maneuver to translate into position.

Same with RTLS, except it's a larger translation because the grid fin guidance puts them in the ocean.

On another note, they weren't lying about some freaking epic shots. The blue marble shrinking into the background....

Should be in the thick of the Van Allen belts now. Impressive that there is no scintillation or problems with the electronics in those cameras.

So.... watching that SPACE CAR tumble so majestically... it definitely looks like it’s just a shell. There was a real clear shot with the entire flarping planet! in the background when you could see the front wheel well is empty except for a structural piece holding it to the PAF. Still beyond awesome. I wonder if the DON’T PANIC sign is an actual screen display or just “printed” on there...