SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Elon has seemed to make his loving turning normal convention on it's head.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's going to mars just because the naysayers say he can't. 

I'm reasonably convinced it's actually his life dream to go to Mars. It might be a nice business pitch, but it makes sense. He had more money than he could ever spend at a very young age. What more is there to do? Make even more money you cannot spend? A lot of very rich people get caught up in the "being rich contest", but you see that many at some point switch to furthering mankind in various ways. Many of the richest people try to make a difference, rather than just being rich and getting richer. When you realize you can buy everything you wish for the rest of your life, I can imagine that not being satisfactory any more.

The Gates family seems to be doing a lot to eradicate disease and improve the standard of living in the less developed parts of the world. Musk seems intent on getting mankind to space, and improving our way of dealing with power in his other endeavours of course.

7 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Human PCBs. I like it.

Just now, Leafbaron said:

Are they planning on keeping the starman stream live for as long as possible? as in potentially until it passes mars and beyond?

It won't last that long. The stream will probably be up till the TMI. And then some. Till the batteries run out. 

1 minute ago, Leafbaron said:

Are they planning on keeping the starman stream live for as long as possible? as in potentially until it passes mars and beyond?

No solar panels on this thing. Gonna run out of power pretty soon.

1 minute ago, Leafbaron said:

As far as I know, there are no solar pannels installed, so it's probably running on batteries?

2 minutes ago, Leafbaron said:

I hear they are paying him really well.  But he has to cash the cheques in person.

Just now, hugix said:

It won't last that long. The stream will probably be up till the TMI. And then some. Till the batteries run out. 

Just now, sevenperforce said:

Batteries won't last that long.

Just now, sh1pman said:

damn, that would've been dope to just check back in 6 months and see how far its gone

2 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Anyone know how long to TMI injection?

Best,
-Slashy

I can't find the tweet right now but it is about 4 hours +/- by now.

Upper stage restart nominal, apogee raised to 7000 km. Will spend 5 hours getting zapped in Van Allen belts & then attempt final burn for Mars.  <- Posted an hour ago.

Edited by Leszek

OMG, they switched to the view of the engine bell.... That's the death star I said out loud!

I wonder what the flat Earthers must think watching this....I presume they choose to just not watch.

Oh that's an easy one... they'll just say it's CGI.   I have a hard time believing it's not, the images are so surreal. 

I wonder what the flat Earthers must think watching this....I presume they choose to just not watch.

All the rocket launches are fake. They just fall into the ocean after launch. The camera's cutting out on the barge at the moment landing is just so the crew can quickly put a prop in place.

7 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Yeah, but the dang thing is full of batteries right?  If they can go 200 miles at high amp draw, they should be able to go quite a while with just some web cams drawing power....