SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Announcer + crowd weren't particularly rhythmic  during terminal count... :( But that's ok, a lot of the camera switches line up easily with the music. Polishing up the Max-Q theme, getting it to the right length, then it'll be on to the key change at booster sep!

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Yeah, but the dang thing is full of batteries right?  If they can go 200 miles at high amp draw, they should be able to go quite a while with just some web cams drawing power....

They must have broken the distance traveled on one charge by now.

Yeah, but the dang thing is full of batteries right?  If they can go 200 miles at high amp draw, they should be able to go quite a while with just some web cams drawing power....

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be an actual complete Tesla.

2 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

No, they took the car's battery out due to it not being space rated.

Edited by Thor Wotansen

2 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

No, they took the car's battery out due to it not being space rated.

1 minute ago, softweir said:

They took them out, so there'd be no chance they could leak during launch and cause a malfunction or, worse still, RUD.

Boooooooo!    But understandable.  

But I hope the cameras last long enough so that Earth is eventually too small to really make out, after that, Unless they get a close flyby of mars by accident, they won't show much but the car. 

1 minute ago, Leszek said:

I think that was just loss of signal.  That is ambiguous.  Do we have an official source?

I concur. I think that the fact that we haven't had confirmation of success on the core stage by now is a sign in and of itself, tho'. Still... I didn't expect them to even attempt to recover the core stage until last night, so I don't really consider that a failure.

Best,
-Slashy

2 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

I concur. I think that the fact that we haven't had confirmation of success on the core stage by now is a sign in and of itself, tho'. Still... I didn't expect them to even attempt to recover the core stage until last night, so I don't really consider that a failure.

Best,
-Slashy

Exactly.  I wouldn't be surprised if it crashed but but the one thing we have a lack of is facts.   In addition to what you pointed out,  Musk said as long as it clears the pad enough to not damage it, he will consider it a win.  (Though I secertly wonder if he was just being careful with expectations.)

What time is the TMI burn supposed to happen?  (EST please)

The best we got.

3 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

My guess is that it ran out of fuel on the landing burn.  It was the highest velocity first stage yet, so they may have had pretty tight margins for the landing attempt.

And also higher dry mass than a standard Falcon 9. It may take a few launches to get it dialed in.

12 minutes ago, Leszek said:

I think that was just loss of signal.  That is ambiguous.  Do we have an official source?

Core loss was called out on the official net. Callout for LOS occurs earlier and cites the location which lost signal, like "Loss of stage 1 signal, Cape, as expected." They definitely lost the core.

If they didn't lose the core, they would have said so by now.

11 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Mission was a success, though I suppose they haven't proven really large payload masses on S2 yet. Controlled separation and recovery has been proven. Core recovery...well, they've proven they can land on a boat, so...

10 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

My guess is that it ran out of fuel on the landing burn.  It was the highest velocity first stage yet, so they may have had pretty tight margins for the landing attempt.

They did a pretty significant boostback burn.