SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

21 minutes ago, AlbertKermin said:

Can someone point me to information about the Roadster and it's payload? I'm trying to look it up in order to make a Stellaris mod, and I simply can't find some of the information.

Namely, I'm curious as to-

What the overall mass was (is there a big block of cement in there somewhere?)

Where in the car is the Ark 5D disk?

Is the paint a polymer, or something with a lower chemical weight more likely to hold up when exposed to solar wind?

In the press conference today someone asked Elon about the Tesla. He said it's just a Tesla. Just a normal car, factory seats, normal paint job, nothing special.

8 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

16 story!

First stage (booster) dimensions that I find online give the height of that segment as 40-41 metres (including engines), depending on configuration. That works out to about 12 stories tall for the bit that comes back down, so I guess we're both wrong...

1 minute ago, PakledHostage said:

First stage (booster) dimensions that I find online give the height of that segment as 40-41 metres (including engines), depending on configuration. That works out to about 12 stories tall for the bit that comes back down, so I guess we're both wrong...

Musk said 16 stories today, IIRC, in the press conference. I don't know what he was referring to. Perhaps with the landing legs

I don't know... when you show before the launch that you are going to aim for an orbit that just touches Mars orbit, but then you put your payload into an orbit out to the asteroid belt...it kind of looks like a miss.

3 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

I don't know... when you show before the launch that you are going to aim for an orbit that just touches Mars orbit, but then you put your payload into an orbit out to the asteroid belt...it kind of looks like a miss.

The plan was to burn to depletion, so the whole system worked better than anticipated. This is how you test a rocket!

5 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

it kind of looks like a miss.

I have to agree. It's like what might happen in KSP if you spilled your drink into your lap during your burn to Duna transfer orbit and you overshot your target velocity. Doesn't say much for precision navigation.

7 minutes ago, tater said:

They said a long time ago it was going to go past Mars orbit.

They also showed the Tesla doing a Mars flyby in their teaser video from just the other day.

11 minutes ago, Confused Scientist said:

All of those Starman photos just look so... fake! The Flat Earthers are really going to love this one. My new profile pic looks even more unrealistic because I played around with some sliders to get crisper colors.

Musk said in the press conference "you know it's real because it looks so fake". Said if it was CGI, they'd do a better job making it look real.

Looking at the two different YouTube feeds, the one with (currently) over 9 million views shows a duplicate onboard view from the boosters as they are landing...but the feed that has (currently) less that 15 thousand views correctly shows the onboard video from the two separate boosters. It also shows the opening of the fairing timed to go with Life on Mars better...although the other feed was showing the trajectories changing during boostback burn, which looked very KSP.

I especially like the onboard views of the booster separation, seeing the flaming engines of the core going by,  followed by a brief splash of flame onto the boosters from the core.

1 minute ago, Kerbal7 said:

So the FH launch was a partial failure.

They expected at least partial failure, so things went according to plan.

I'm not sure why you're so insistent to bash Musk and SpaceX, but they're going to be successfully launching rockets, whether you're sulking about it or not.

4 minutes ago, Kerbal7 said:

Losing one of the boosters is not doing well in my book when you are all about reusable rockets. Today's launch was a partial failure.

SpaceX believes that failure IS an option, and loves to learn from them.