SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

9 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

Starlink will be the end of all telecommuniation companies, if what Musk has said is true.  Musk also probably is for NN, so this is good.    

However, I'm still duboius on how a phone could recieve enough bandwidth from a satelite.  

Not to mention the signal delay. I don’t think you’ll be able to play online games with it.

12 minutes ago, Elthy said:

The ping shouldnt be to bad, since SpaceX plans to use low orbits.

Ah... I misinterpreted the previous posts and thought we were talking about Mars! Hehe. Yeah, Starlink would probably be better than what I have now, and I don't live in a really densely populated area, so once/if Starlink comes online I'm probably going to switch to that.

5 hours ago, magnemoe said:

SpaceX system will not work against phones, you would need an receiver more like an large wireless router.
 it will however work well against moving targets like cars or even planes. 
Even iridium phones are pretty bulky, for something like modern smart phones you probably need BFR and even then probably an way to print the antenna in orbit. 
Now the interesting part is that bandwidth is pretty shared so who more remote you are who higher bandwidth as few other uses it. 
Opposite of standard broadband 

It will not have one big antenna, more like 256 antennas in a grid in order to get good beam forming.

But the anatemas will still need to be quite big and transmit on pretty high power to get good throughput.   The satellites will have to have big solar panel arrays and batteries to last the hour it takes to pass the night side. 

5 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Not to mention the signal delay. I don’t think you’ll be able to play online games with it.

Bouncing a signal off LEO would take about 13ms  

6 hours ago, DAL59 said:

Starlink will be the end of all telecommuniation companies, if what Musk has said is true.

Optical cables will still be the frontrunner. Satellites have limited bandwith compared to a cable. It's probably going to go well for sparse areas, but once it goes dense cables would be a lot better still.

6 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

The BFR will be able to launch 30 foot wide radio satelites...

Satellites are basically routers, relays. If you want more bandwith you have to add more routers or replace it with something that is capable of handling more bandwith. There's also the problem of # of connections.

Much easier to upgrade stuff with optical cables and their equipments on ground.

Edited by YNM

3 hours ago, Nefrums said:

It will not have one big antenna, more like 256 antennas in a grid in order to get good beam forming.

But the anatemas will still need to be quite big and transmit on pretty high power to get good throughput.   The satellites will have to have big solar panel arrays and batteries to last the hour it takes to pass the night side. 

Bouncing a signal off LEO would take about 13ms  

You are right, it will still be an large installation, for receiving an weak signal you also need area.
You could live with lower upload speeds but you still need to be able to receive the signal 

29 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Now I get suspicious.

Did they sterilize it before launching?

Mutated bacteria from the Earth would be more dangerous than Martian ones.

The same article gives the odds of actually hitting Earth within the next few million years as something like 6%, soooo.... I'm not exactly worried. :cool:

32 minutes ago, tseitsei89 said:

Will there be a booster recovery on saturdays launch?

Is the drone ship damaged from FH landing attempt or can the booster return to launch site?

According to SpaceXNow the next 2 launches are expendable, though possibly with soft landings in the ocean.

Spoiler
7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

The same article gives the odds of actually hitting Earth within the next few million years as something like 6%, soooo.... I'm not exactly worried. :cool:

4.6 bln years ago they were saying exactly this.
"Who cares about a piece of rock near a yellow dwarf, even without the atmosphere."
And now look around.

1 hour ago, Val said:

According to SpaceXNow the next 2 launches are expendable, though possibly with soft landings in the ocean.

I think they have enough recovered Blk3 boosters that if they have to expend a few before Blk5 comes online in April it's no big deal. They won't attempt to use a Blk3 a third time in any case.

3 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

Wait, what?  How are they going to launch 12,000 satelites if they only do two at a time?  

They’re going to launch dozens, maybe hundreds at a time. Eventually. These first two are just pathfinders to test things out. Also, IIRC the initial constellation is “only” going to be around 4000.