SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Forget recovering fairings, SpaceX needs to make a wind-proof rocket. :huh: Dammit, now I'm awake...

F9 is, from what I've gathered, unusually weak to wind shear. It's very long and thin, which doesn't help with aerodynamic stress, and its partial balloon design makes the tanks not have much shear strength compared to a standard tank. At least, I think that's the case.

46 minutes ago, tater said:

Sunrise in LA tomorrow is at 6:29 PST, so even though the launch is before sunrise, it isn't early enough for a repeat of the spectacular views of the launch that everyone had a month or so ago. :(

Edited by PakledHostage

Yeah, and I think backlighting is likely more spectacular then even low angle light from the East, as well.

57 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

F9 is, from what I've gathered, unusually weak to wind shear. It's very long and thin, which doesn't help with aerodynamic stress, and its partial balloon design makes the tanks not have much shear strength compared to a standard tank. At least, I think that's the case.

Of course they fly it back nearly empty, and at some serious AoA as far as I can tell, so I'm unsure about tank strength being such a huge issue.

It might also be because of the fairing catch (?).

21 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, and I think backlighting is likely more spectacular then even low angle light from the East, as well.

Of course they fly it back nearly empty, and at some serious AoA as far as I can tell, so I'm unsure about tank strength being such a huge issue.

It might also be because of the fairing catch (?).

The tank is still pressurized on its way back, so the strength should be the same, but its load is much lighter.

2 minutes ago, Delay said:

This mission doesn't seem to recover the Falcon.

Yeah, that is unrelated to this scrub. My point was that I was unsure what the forces would be going UP due to wind shear, vs the serious stress F9s must go through wind wise on return, given the AoAs they fly (and presumably some of these expendable test landings have pushed that envelope).

1 hour ago, tater said:

Yeah, that is unrelated to this scrub. My point was that I was unsure what the forces would be going UP due to wind shear, vs the serious stress F9s must go through wind wise on return, given the AoAs they fly (and presumably some of these expendable test landings have pushed that envelope).

I don't think it's nearly as high. Remember, also, that the fineness ratio of the F9 on return is much lower, since it is the same width but far shorter.

4 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

So do what any self-respecting KSP player knows and slap MOAR STRUTS! on the thing till it stops noodling. :rolleyes: Seriously, it’s not rocket science! oh, wait...

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Hey, we might have a recovery after all: :D

Or maybe they're just planning ahead in case it survives another water soft landing?

Nice, an combined landing attempt and test of an ballistic anti ship missile :)