SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Hadn't read this, just assumed they'd use it for practice since fins.

It was stated on the hosted webcast.

I'm guessing they will use the fins to test an entry without a retroburn to see how long it lasts and whether they can afford shorter entry burns.

First view of microsats:

Starlink_microsats.png

I see no thrusters.

T-30 seconds.

So: how much delta-V do the springs impart on PAZ? I'm pretty sure typical SSO satellites orbit above the current 515 km altitude (closer to 1000 km IIRC from Realism Overhaul), so PAZ will probably need to run its own engines a bit.

Also, good payload sep and webcast is finishing.

Yay! Mission success!

Just now, sevenperforce said:

Does anyone know how long it will take for the fairing to come home?

I'd imagine it would make it back into the atmosphere before S1 but would take longer to reach sea level because of the parachute, so it should succeed or fail within the next five minutes, although confirmation will probably take a lot longer.

23 hours ago, PakledHostage said:

Sunrise in LA tomorrow is at 6:29 PST, so even though the launch is before sunrise, it isn't early enough for a repeat of the spectacular views of the launch that everyone had a month or so ago. :(

Huh. Maybe I was wrong. The announcer mentioned during the launch coverage that LA citizens might be able to see the exhaust plume again this time. I guess we'll see.

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Yay! Mission success!

I'd imagine it would make it back into the atmosphere before S1 but would take longer to reach sea level because of the parachute, so it should succeed or fail within the next five minutes, although confirmation will probably take a lot longer.

Before S1? I really doubt that. It's higher and going faster.

A 2015 GoPro video ran about 2 minutes, and that was from after separation to before entry.

Just now, sevenperforce said:
3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Before S1? I really doubt that. It's higher and going faster.

A 2015 GoPro video ran about 2 minutes, and that was from after separation to before entry.

Ah, sorry, mixed up my order... The fairing does pop off after stage one, doesn't it? :)