SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

56 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

According to SpaceFlightNow, Bangabandhu-1 (and block 5 debut) delayed from April 5 to NET April 24. :(

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ahh, back to the good old delays, huh?

5 minutes ago, NSEP said:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ahh, back to the good old delays, huh?

Still April. Excrement happens. Launches will face delays for a long time going forward. Range time is difficult, weather, and in this case as I said, the company making the satellite likely has not even shipped it yet (or it's en route if they use surface transport (they usually use planes, right?)).

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That info is as of December last year, and crew demo flight is currently scheduled for December this year, so, yeah. :wink:

At this point its practically a joke.  It has been 1 year away for 5 consecutive years.  Remember, this was supposed to happen at the start of 2013.    

54 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

At this point its practically a joke.  It has been 1 year away for 5 consecutive years.  Remember, this was supposed to happen at the start of 2013.    

That’s what they said about Falcon Heavy, too, and it happened. :wink: The booster is under construction, the capsule is nearly complete, and even Boeing is on more or less the same schedule. 

Oh, and it’s more like 9 months now, too. :sticktongue:

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That’s what they said about Falcon Heavy, too, and it happened. 

With the Falcon Heavy, they shelved it to work on the F9.  FH was originally not reusable.  With Dragon, there is no F9 equivalent.    

37 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

With Dragon, there is no F9 equivalent.    

Sure there is. It’s not the rocket that’s delayed, it’s the capsule. And Boeing is in exactly the same place despite more resources, better funding, and less to prove. 

I don’t think one can fairly lay this one at SpaceX’s feet, Commercial Crew delays have come from NASA via congress, and inadequate funding. 

7 hours ago, DAL59 said:

So was Falcon 1 - until it wasn't.
So was sub-cooled LOX - until it wasn't 
So was landing a rocket on a barge - until it wasn't
So was Falcon Heavy - until it wasn't

Wish all my jokes had punchlines that good.

Edited by KSK

4 hours ago, kurja said:

How does this affect gps, does the ionosphere cause a delay to the signal as it passes through?

No, it interferes, potentially, with the electronics. . . . . .and I say no, its not going to interefere with gps, unless there a super freaky solor storm. 

6 hours ago, KSK said:

Wish all my jokes had punchlines that good

Until it wasn't:D

Edited by PB666

10 hours ago, DAL59 said:

With the Falcon Heavy, they shelved it to work on the F9.  FH was originally not reusable.  With Dragon, there is no F9 equivalent.    

SpaceX has a future and a past. During the early part of their past they were on the steep part of their learning curve, now they are past that part of the learning curve because.. . . . its in their past. How quickly they proceed in the future depends how far outside of their comfort zone they choose to proceed. For example planning to send a million people to Mars might cause some hiccups. 

21 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I imagine the Bond franchise probably had something to do with that. And do they really want to put an expensive satellite aboard an airplane that has a license to kill?

"Breaking: the airplane that was supposed to deliver a satellite to launch facility has suffered a skyfall..."

Edited by sh1pman

2 minutes ago, tater said:

We'll see what happens. Chris seems to have more info than Stephen posted.

SO two PL driven delays for SX, how are they going to launch 5 sats a month at this rate.

4 minutes ago, PB666 said:

how are they going to launch 5 sats a month at this rate.

Do they have enough launch pads and low enough turnaround?  I think its possible.

Edited by DAL59