SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

17 minutes ago, PB666 said:

SO two PL driven delays for SX, how are they going to launch 5 sats a month at this rate.

When they have a hanger full of boosters, they could possibly just swap launches. I thought that was one of the regulatory hurdles that the Space Council was going to work on. Generic launch windows, ve specific windows for specific payloads. As long as the NOTAM is posted properly, shouldn't matter what they launch, just that they have permission to launch.

8 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

They won’t, at least not this time around. That much was pretty much expected. 

Dangit. :(

I was looking forward to five rocket launches in a single day on Thursday. :/

Five? I heard four - Falcon, GSLV, Long March, and Soyuz.

I was looking forward to that as well - that day is my birthday!

4 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:
There’s a sounding rocket in all that mess, too. But we’re back to four now. ;.;

Do you know if they are going to stream the sounding rocket? If so, great, because the Chinese won't stream theirs, the Russians might not (because it's a secret payload on the 2.1v which they didn't stream last time iirc) and the ISRO one is early in the morning (which might not be a problem, actually). I swear, if there is four launches on my birthday and none I get to watch...

44 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Oh, cool, it’s apparenely a test for a supersonic Mars parachute. :cool: Streaming link is in Article link.

Mars 2020, yeah! Hopefully it will go as well as its predecessor! Although it won't get all the way to space (just over halfway), it's still a rocket and that's what counts!

15 hours ago, PB666 said:

No, it interferes, potentially, with the electronics. . . . . .and I say no, its not going to interefere with gps, unless there a super freaky solor storm. 

Huh, that's what I thought but it's claimed in the article you linked

Edited by kurja

41 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

As expected, more delays according to SpaceFlightNow. The next next Iridium Next (featuring GRACE FO) delayed from April 28 to NET May 10, and SES 12 delayed to mid-May from April 30. So much for our five-inna-month. ;.;

Working kinks out on block 5, perhaps? May had been slow, anyway as I recall.

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Does anyone know if there’s a specific issue preventing a third flight of the Block 3 and Block 4 boosters? Or does it basically come down to refurb cost?

My guess is as good as anyone's (okay, probably a lot better than 99% of the population, but still) -- but I am conjecturing that it's a combination of risk and benefit. Second reflights have not thus far been attempted, so they carry a high degree of risk. If a third flight was unsuccessful, it would really cast a lot of doubt on SpaceX's ability to make reuse financially viable. Much better to save refurb costs and wait for Block V to do the first multiple-reflight attempts.

42 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

not to mention the fact that they’ve got so many old boosters now they can’t even give them away... <_<

They should give me one, for my Ballistic Missle Program space program!

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

My guess is as good as anyone's (okay, probably a lot better than 99% of the population, but still) -- but I am conjecturing that it's a combination of risk and benefit. Second reflights have not thus far been attempted, so they carry a high degree of risk. If a third flight was unsuccessful, it would really cast a lot of doubt on SpaceX's ability to make reuse financially viable. Much better to save refurb costs and wait for Block V to do the first multiple-reflight attempts.

They are probably saving them for known expendibles.