SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Would it be possible for ESA to buy a BFR? It would be amazing to see it launch from Europe, sadly I don't think it would make much sense. And ESA would probably not ditch all the Europe-based companies because they provide jobs (and keep the engineers). But then they bought a couple of Soyuzes and launched them from Guiana so maybe having a sea-based (Mediterranean maybe?) launch platform would actually cut costs and shipping/travel time?

Edited by Wjolcz

1 minute ago, Wjolcz said:

Would it be possible for ESA to buy a BFR? It would be amazing to see it launch from Europe, sadly I don't think it would make much sense. And ESA would probably not ditch all the Europe-based companies because they provide jobs (and keep the engineers). But then they bought a couple of Soyuzes and launched them from Guiana so maybe having a sea-based (Mediterranean maybe?) launch platform would actually cut costs and shipping/travel time?

Btw all this is purely hypothetical so treat it like that.

Even if a BFR would be bought, which won't happen, it would definitely not be launched from Europe.

Is TESS the first Explorer class spacecraft launched by SpaceX or have i missed something?

57 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Is TESS the first Explorer class spacecraft launched by SpaceX or have i missed something

Well, there was DISCOVR, but I don’t think that’s the same class. 

With both BFR and New Glenn operating within a few years of each other, the business case to keep Arianespace and entourage running will start to get mighty shaky. 

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Well, there was DISCOVR, but I don’t think that’s the same class. 

With both BFR and New Glenn operating within a few years of each other, the business case to keep Arianespace and entourage running will start to get mighty shaky. 

DSCOVR is NOAA though. Also Arianespace is Europes domestic launch provider, they won't be abandoned in favor for SpaceX and Blue Origins.