SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 minute ago, Delay said:

But I do agree: It's better to have an abort on the ground and wait until the next day than losing an entire, million dollar worth rocket plus payload.

Even if it means that some of us won't be able to see the launch then... Looking at you, @Scotius.

I sometimes "abort" my trip out from the house... as I forget to lock the door/my lunch/my wallet. ;)

Haha the guy.

*Akward pause*

*Looks at laptop*

''BLOCK 5 IS BEING EATEN BY ALLIGATORS*

*Ok i think we will have to shut down the webcast for today*

*End of webcast*

Just now, sevenperforce said:

SpaceX may be ridiculously cheaper than everybody else on the market, but the delays and scrubs and dependencies...it makes them look bad.

Rockets are complicated. Everybody else has the same.

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

SpaceX may be ridiculously cheaper than everybody else on the market, but the delays and scrubs and dependencies...it makes them look bad.

Thats sad but true.

4 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

With all of Elon's talk about AI, you'd think they'd have a fast AI to provide concrete go-no-go for a team review following abort.

Not ULA.

Not true.

http://spaceflight101.com/atlas-v-rocket-rolls-back-after-three-back-to-back-launch-scrubs/

irst two attempts ending in a stand-down due to weather and teams backing out of the third countdown due to a technical issue on the rocket.

As far as the slipping issue goes, I counted back 10 missions each for the Falcon, Atlas, and Delta families, including today's Falcon 9. This doesn't count delays, only scrubs the day of launch, and 10 might not be far back enough to get a true picture.

Falcon - 2 scrubs.

Delta - 2 scrubs (although the site I'm using only goes back a few years and the 2 was only out of 8 flights).

Atlas - 5 scrubs, although 4 of them were that one that got really unlucky.

Near in mind Atlas has also had in-flight issues such as an H2 leak that resulted in MECO 8 seconds early. The only reason it was not LOM was because Centaur had enough margin to make up the shortfall.

Nobody is perfect. But Atlas hasn’t had an LOM for quite some time.At least they don’t have a record like Proton

6 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Nobody is perfect. But Atlas hasn’t had an LOM for quite some time.At least they don’t have a record like Proton

Correct, nobody is perfect. I believe Atlas and Falcon are both doing about the same as far as scrubs, with SpaceX being ahead in delays, but Atlas V has never actually had an LOM, only one partial success.

True about Proton, though. The last 13 launches have been successful, but 2010-2015 there was at least one total failure per year, including my favorite: The accelerometers being installed upside-down.

Edited by Ultimate Steve