SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

12 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Take me to spacewhat?..

So I guess Hyperloop will be underground not in glass tubes.

Also, is it just me or is all that he is doing somehow connected to Mars colony? Tunnels to live in them, bricks to built shelters with, EVs to move around (without the need for fossil fuels), solar panels to have power and obviously rockets to fly around the solar system.

He is Peter Weyland.

Edited by Wjolcz

Just now, Wjolcz said:

So I guess Hyperloop will be underground not in glass tubes.

Also, is it just me or is all that he is doing somehow connected to Mars colony? Tunnels to live in them, bricks to built shelters with, EVs to move around (without the need for fossil fuels), solar panels to have power and obviously rockets to move around the solar system.

He is Peter Weyland.

All part of the Big Plan.

I hope he creates a biotech company next, to make better plants or crops suitable for Martian soil. I’ll be the first to apply :)

8 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

All part of the Big Plan.

I hope he creates a biotech company next, to make better plants or crops suitable for Martian soil. I’ll be the first to apply :)

all of this in a guy so relatable his response to his own megarocket was “holey flying —, that thing took off” ... with his own car on board. 

And people wonder why he’s got such a cult of personality. 

10 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

all of this in a guy so relatable his response to his own megarocket was “holey flying —, that thing took off” ... with his own car on board. 

And people wonder why he’s got such a cult of personality. 

I don't want to be fanboying (I try my best not to) but this is kinda true. That's partly why I respect him. Even though many plans change and Elon time gets in the way A LOT he and his company often delivers.

When I saw the first barge landing attempt which went RUD I went from "Whatever" to "Holy sh*t this will eventually happen and be a regular thing" in seconds. Even though it crashed. It was so close to landing that I knew they would try again and succeed. And they did.

Edited by Wjolcz

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Via SpaceFlightNow, SES-12 now NET May 31, but STP-2, second flight of Falcon Heavy is back on the calendar with a NET of October 31! :cool:

If it keeps they’d better launch a pumpkin... <_<

Holy moley my excitement just went through the roof! 

Im off to Disney in October through November so that means I get to see a FH launch as I’ll be in Florida! If my luck hold out!! 

21 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Waaaaaaaaa??

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

I suppose that if they plan on taking this booster apart to nuts and bolts for inspection, it makes reasonable sense to take the legs off now and examine them separately.

leg_off.png

Odd. The old legs went on white and came off black. Now these go on black and come off sandblasted-white.

I wonder if the white is from ablation. 

Kinda. Grey looks like black in comparison to white, and grey looks like white in comparison to black... just look at your TV/Monitor for an example (pure blacks/whites are difficult on most ;) ).

On 5/14/2018 at 9:33 PM, insert_name said:

there is a bit of a difference in the level of infastructure for LC-40 and a boat out in the middle of the ocean, this doesnt sound practical.

Oh. I agree... but I could really see a luxury cruise liner and a large deck/rig/etc for landing. I mean, private yachts already have helipads, right?

40 minutes ago, Technical Ben said:

Kinda. Grey looks like black in comparison to white, and grey looks like white in comparison to black... just look at your TV/Monitor for an example (pure blacks/whites are difficult on most ;) ).

Does the leg say "Yanny" or "Laurel"?

So I'm guessing it will be a while before B5 is resued within 24 hours? They should still have one pre-block 5 F9 right? Is it the one flying on May 31?

Edited by Wjolcz

4 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

So I'm guessing it will be a while before B5 is resued within 24 hours? They should still have one pre-block 5 F9 right? Is it the one flying on May 31?

Elon said that won’t be till next year at the soonest. It will probably be a couple months at least until we see a second Block 5 flight at all. 

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Elon said that won’t be till next year at the soonest. It will probably be a couple months at least until we see a second Block 5 flight at all. 

The next B5 flight, period, will be either Telstar 19V, in late June, or the final Iridium NEXT in July. For all we know, B1046 (the first B5 from May 11) may be refurbed in time to fly the final Iridum mission. I doubt it, though.

I would not expect a "third flight" of any booster until at least Es'hail 2 in August or SAOCOM 1A in September.

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

The next B5 flight, period, will be either Telstar 19V, in late June, or the final Iridium NEXT in July. For all we know, B1046 (the first B5 from May 11) may be refurbed in time to fly the final Iridum mission. I doubt it, though.

I would not expect a "third flight" of any booster until at least Es'hail 2 in August or SAOCOM 1A in September.

What about Iridium-7? Didn't Matt Desch confirm that that was going to be on a (new) block 5?

6 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

What about Iridium-7? Didn't Matt Desch confirm that that was going to be on a (new) block 5?

That's what I meant. The next two launches (Iridium-6 and SES-12) will be reused B4s. The next launch, Telstar 19V, may be a Block 5 if there is no B4 available for reuse. CRS-15 is next, which will reuse the TESS booster. After this is the final Iridium launch on B5.

53 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

That's what I meant. The next two launches (Iridium-6 and SES-12) will be reused B4s. The next launch, Telstar 19V, may be a Block 5 if there is no B4 available for reuse. CRS-15 is next, which will reuse the TESS booster. After this is the final Iridium launch on B5.

I think there's an eighth Iridium launch in August. Doesn't change that much though, and I'd expect it would reuse the Iridium-7 core - reusing cores from previous Iridium missions seems to be a thing they do.