SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Thunderfoot did some math on extracting methane from air (for making plastics in this case, but the point is the same). Energy required to pump enough air through scrubbers to produce significant amounts of methane is huge and not practical.

The thing is Co2 is only 0.041% of the atmosphere on earth (partial pressure: 0.2mmhg) but 96% of the atmosphere on mars(4.3mmhg), so even with the much lower atmospheric pressure on mars(0.6% of earth), there is still more than 10 times as much Co2 per unit of atmospheric volume on mars than there is on earth.

As an added bonus, we do not even need to filter out all of those other gasses to get a useful concentration, because they are only a small percentage of the total.

Edit: 

this video is talking about collecting methane (.00017%), ISRU will be collecting Co2 and basically 'un-burning' it into methane and O2 by using (presumably)solar power.  Think of it as a giant chemical battery that stores power as methane so that it can be released by the rocket when needed.

Edited by Terwin

Im currently looking for a high resolution picture (>10MP, idealy >16MP) of the Falcon Heavy Launch, but cant find one. SpaceX official pictures are only 6MP (why exactly? Every recent camera is better) and others i found arent even available as a high resolution picture, just as direct prints.

Can you help me find some? It doesnt have to be free, i would pay a modest sum to the photographer as long as i recieve a good file without watermarks for private usage...

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

Thunderfoot did some math on extracting methane from air (for making plastics in this case, but the point is the same). Energy required to pump enough air through scrubbers to produce significant amounts of methane is huge and not practical.

[...]

I think SpaceX (and possibly that aircarbon company) plans to use electrolyze seawater to hydrogen and oxygen, then use the sabatier (and possibly RWGS) reactions to make methane and oxygen. 

CO2 exists in Earth's atmosphere at over 400 PPM, meaning that 400 times less air needs to be filtered for the same amount of CH4.

They will almost certainly power everything with solar. It probably won't be cost effective at all, but it will be completely self-sufficient and sustainable.

2 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Im currently looking for a high resolution picture (>10MP, idealy >16MP) of the Falcon Heavy Launch, but cant find one. SpaceX official pictures are only 6MP (why exactly? Every recent camera is better) and others i found arent even available as a high resolution picture, just as direct prints.

Can you help me find some? It doesnt have to be free, i would pay a modest sum to the photographer as long as i recieve a good file without watermarks for private usage...

Have you tried asking on reddit? After every launch professional photographers post slightly downscaled or watermarked versions of their work, often with links to a personal site where you can buy it in a larger size. For example, here: https://voyager77.shootproof.com/gallery/6077444/home

1 minute ago, Shpaget said:

Hmm, I got the impression the proposal was for Earth. My bad.

No, I think they have said they want to repurpose the mars ISRU equipment on earth.

23 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Have you tried asking on reddit? After every launch professional photographers post slightly downscaled or watermarked versions of their work, often with links to a personal site where you can buy it in a larger size. For example, here: https://voyager77.shootproof.com/gallery/6077444/home

I tried looking through the media thread for the launch, but its mostly filled with videos. This photographer offers some nice shots, but there is no mention of the final resolution i would get after the purchase...

8 minutes ago, Elthy said:

I tried looking through the media thread for the launch, but its mostly filled with videos. This photographer offers some nice shots, but there is no mention of the final resolution i would get after the purchase...

The media thread I think is mostly amateur photography. IIRC, during and after a launch the subreddit is in "submissions restricted" mode, and each accredited photographer gets 2 or 3 posts, so you may have to look for those. After that, you might have to PM specific photographers to ask about resolution.

48 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Could be flight 5 or even 6, according to the SpaceX website Inmarsat and Viasat each have 1 satellite lined up to launch on the FH.

As I understand it, right now these are only options for launches, and they’ve yet to secure any actual payloads for them. So four confirmed flights, I guess.  :rolleyes: I suspect someone will come up with something after ArabSat 6, or 2019 will be a very dry year for big rockets. 

45 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I volunteer for a space-themed suite for piano and robots.

With a large enough volume, you could put pressurized air thrusters on the piano and have it fly around while you play. So many possibilities!

Edited by cubinator

31 minutes ago, cubinator said:

With a large enough volume, you could put pressurized air thrusters on the piano and have it fly around while you play. So many possibilities!

The sound of the cold gas thrusters might ruin the experience, though...

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

A zero gee pipe organ... Fascinatingl (Spockface)