SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

“That wasn’t supposed to be an expendable launch!” - Elon Musk in 2020

But it does open up a new mode for mission assurance in the event of a mild inflight anomaly, like an engine out or propellant leak. Writing off the booster is cheaper than losing the payload, at least until companies take advantage of cheap launch costs with cheaper payloads 

Pretty sure that is in software already as in the extra fuel is an emergency reserve. This was one of the thought behind powered landings. 
It would make sense to use old boosters for starlink launches as the satellites are cheap

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

*block 4s

I’m not sure but they may be using a block 4 for the Dragon 2 in-flight abort test later this year.

No, i meant block 3, i know this was the last flight of block 4.

2 hours ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

Block 5 will still get improved, by the time it gets to 24 hour multi-reuse it might well be called "block 6", however these upgrades are likely going to come out with every launch, so no more revolutionary "blocks".

I never thought that block 6 is real. I thought block 5 is final version, designed to man the ISS

Block 5 will still get improved, by the time it gets to 24 hour multi-reuse it might well be called "block 6", however these upgrades are likely going to come out with every launch, so no more revolutionary "blocks".

But they need to stop making changes in order for it to get man-rated for Crew Dragon. So it's likely that this will be a stable design for some time, unless the early block 5 flights uncover some catastrophic unanticipated issues.

Pretty sure Block 5 is not getting any more improvements as it simply can't if they want to man rate it. There won't be any more versions. Unless we're talking FH launches. Even Block 5s need to be modified to be used as FH boosters and core stages (AFAIK).

1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

According to Spaceflight Now Crew Dragon demo is to happen sometime in August.

We are getting closer and closer!

Pretty confident the Crew Dragon Demo will happend within the next 4 months, can't wait!

Edited by NSEP

http://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/395163-congress-is-taking-smart-steps-to-make-space-launch-reusability-the

The NDAA takes aggressive steps forward on embracing reusability — this is to be welcomed. Under Section 1605 of the current draft, the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle (EELV) program is renamed the “National Security Space Launch Program”. This is a step forward in recognizing that reusability can and should be part of our nation’s launch portfolio, but the key developments follow next. 

That same section also outlines a requirement that the Secretary of Defense pursue a strategy that includes reusability — partial or fully reusable rockets — in national security launches; mandates the continuation of certification processes to validate the use of these components; and requires justification for why a national security launch contract awards excludes reusable rockets.

Unrelated, Dragon:

Edited by sh1pman

3 minutes ago, NSEP said:

You don't have to use the main engines at all to land back and be reused. You can easily just glide back to destination, especially when the main engines cut-off at near-orbital velocity, when you just have to wait an hour to hit the atmosphere and glide back to the space centre and land on a runway.

I don't think an RTLS would be possible in this scenario. And the payload would probably be reduced too.

I don't think discussing reusable SLS makes much sense. Especially that this is the SpaceX thread and NASA doesn't plan to do anything like that anyway.

8 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

I don't think an RTLS would be possible in this scenario. And the payload would probably be reduced too.

I don't think discussing reusable SLS makes much sense. Especially that this is the SpaceX thread and NASA doesn't plan to do anything like that anyway.

You know how this thread goes. :rolleyes: One off-hand, tongue-in-cheek quip and...

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, tater said:

Yep - I'd definitely call that a net gain.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I’ll bet you a rep point it is. Musk time included. ;)

cough JWST coughcough... <_<

Awww man. You couldn't make that a dollars to donuts bet could you? Mmmmm - donuts.