SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

20 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Err,  no. That boat sailed nearly two years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Lab_Launch_Complex_1

Technically true, I suppose, but until I see a rocket liftoff from a place, then land there, I won't call it much of a spaceport, more like a "launch facility."

KSC is a spaceport. Shuttle lifted off, shuttle landed there.

6 minutes ago, tater said:

Technically true, I suppose, but until I see a rocket liftoff from a place, then land there, I won't call it much of a spaceport, more like a "launch facility."

KSC is a spaceport. Shuttle lifted off, shuttle landed there.

This. Port is a place where ships sail to an from. Place that tosses missiles away is in best case a coastal battery LOL

10 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

When I remember the hubbub they made when discussing to admit LNG freighters to one German Northsea port... Like the danger of the freighter turning into a giant fuel-air-bomb... Now imagine that truck going caboom... :(

I hope for longterm they have an alternative logistics concept... :o

The only way an LNG freighter turns into a FAE is if 1) it stays there a long time, 2) the LNG just sits there and boils off, and 3) there's no wind for that same period of time.

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

wiz00dle. :sticktongue:

It's white now? Why does it keep changing colours?

Couldn't BFR have at least some sort of escape pods/seats for the crew and passangers? That would probably make it safer than regular airliners. At least in an event of catastrophic failure. When an airliner crashes everybody dies. If BFR was about to crash it would shoot everybody out and then crash. It wouldn't be pleasant but better than certain death.

Also, I just realized they don't have any block 5s left. In-flight abort test will have to be performed on a block 5 which probably means RIP that stage :(

Edited by Wjolcz

From what I've seen, they were expecting to lose the booster, so they were going to give it only 3 engines and partially fuel it so it can still lift off, and mount the Dragon directly to the first stage.

Edited by .50calBMG

6 minutes ago, .50calBMG said:

From what I've seen, they were expecting to loose the booster, so they were going to give it only 3 engines and partially fuel it so it can still lift off, and mount the Dragon directly to the first stage.

That's what I read before, but now people have said that they plan to use a Block 5 on its third flight.

26 minutes ago, tater said:

There is no reason why the booster needs to get trashed. Put on a stage 2 dummy, and the capsule wrecks that, instead.

Won't they have to test it at Max Q? Unless the booster has some sort of nose cone on it the interstage will probably get ripped into pieces so they will either have to modify the first stage to handle that or perform extensive inspection afterwards to make sure it can fly again.

Or just sacrifice that one booster. I'm sure they have that kind of money anyway. And since the stages are soon to be rapidly reused SpaceX will probably make up for that one in no time.

12 minutes ago, .50calBMG said:

From what I've seen, they were expecting to loose the booster, so they were going to give it only 3 engines and partially fuel it so it can still lift off, and mount the Dragon directly to the first stage.

Pretty sure this was the old plan. Using block 4 or 5 would probably be cheaper, easier and quicker than modifying it like that.

Ah, I see what you guys mean.

9 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Yes, add that spacex has thought this trough a lot, they added the delta wing to be able to land on both earth and mars. 
Now I'm a bit skeptical about part of BFR, mostly the lack of escape system as rockets will not be passenger plane safe. 
This is also something who will be extensively testing then they start testing the upper stage.

About that, I will suggest spaceX to use solid rocket boosters instead of vacuum engines for earth to earth transport. Anything goes wrong, BOOM and everyone escapes.

1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

About that, I will suggest spaceX to use solid rocket boosters instead of vacuum engines for earth to earth transport. Anything goes wrong, BOOM and everyone escapes.

You mean abort motors to save the BFS in the event of a stage one failure?

Even if the BFS could survive a BFR explosion, chances are it wouldn't be within range of a landing pad, unless SpaceX built emergency landing zones beneath the flight path.

19 minutes ago, Confused Scientist said:

Even if the BFS could survive a BFR explosion, chances are it wouldn't be within range of a landing pad, unless SpaceX built emergency landing zones beneath the flight path.

Yes. Provided there is a piece of flat land, bfr can land anywhere. So technically it can land on calm waters.

Or use the Just Read The Instructions. lol

24 minutes ago, Confused Scientist said:

While there are still many unresolved issues with this, keep in mind that a fully-fueled BFS is capable of one L of a boostback burn. ;)

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

But Earth to Earth transport will only use BFS, BFR not required 

Pretty sure it will use BFR too. Just for that extra margin of fuel. I'd rather be falling down in a fully fueled death trap than an empty one.

6 hours ago, Scotius said:

Soooo... Is anyone up for the challenge of tossing something down from the orbit, so it lands in the net without Mr. Steven needing to do any maneuvers? :D That would be awesome to watch!

Well the fairing is a pain for gliding. Parasails suck. Also, it is not tossed form orbit, so I do not care about the heating.

And about the dragon abort test, SpaceX will use a block 4, as they dont plan on reusing it.