SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

30 minutes ago, SuperFastJellyfish said:

Does the 4x larger net mean they were just missing the fairing by about that much, or is it just to increase their chances and was an easy upgrade?

As I understand it, they were missing by around 50 meters. They are getting better at aiming the fairing, but increasing the net size also increases their margin for error, so it’s a little of both. Herr Steve is, after all, essentially a prototype for several more boats, so they want to get the bugs out now. 

and that thing could catch some scary-big bugs...

10 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Well the fairing is a pain for gliding. Parasails suck. Also, it is not tossed form orbit, so I do not care about the heating.

And about the dragon abort test, SpaceX will use a block 4, as they dont plan on reusing it.

AFAIK they don't have any block 4s left.

6 hours ago, Xd the great said:

I thought they saved 1. Whatever, recycling the booster should be simple.

Recycling in what sense? Because I don't see recycling a stage after an in-flight abort test. Especially if the Dragon has to perform it during Max Q.

8 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

Recycling in what sense? Because I don't see recycling a stage after an in-flight abort test. Especially if the Dragon has to perform it during Max Q.

Recycling it can save the cost of making a new booster. Assuming the booster does not break apart.

They can do a boostback turn anyway right?

During the abort rocket will be blasted by  four Super-Dracos exhaust plumes. Straight in the unprotected sides and the top. It can't be healthy for a quite fragile construction. And it will be just test. During real in-flight abort Falcon will still be fueled - which raises probability of the explosion quite a bit. There might not be much left after Dragon tears away to protect the crew :)

On 7/14/2018 at 3:24 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

As I understand it, they were missing by around 50 meters. They are getting better at aiming the fairing, but increasing the net size also increases their margin for error, so it’s a little of both. Herr Steve is, after all, essentially a prototype for several more boats, so they want to get the bugs out now. 

and that thing could catch some scary-big bugs...

"Hey, Elon. We caught a hornet in the net. Pilot's not looking too happy about it."

2 hours ago, Scotius said:

During the abort rocket will be blasted by  four Super-Dracos exhaust plumes. Straight in the unprotected sides and the top. It can't be healthy for a quite fragile construction. And it will be just test. During real in-flight abort Falcon will still be fueled - which raises probability of the explosion quite a bit. There might not be much left after Dragon tears away to protect the crew :)

New Shepard survived its max-Q abort intact and made its landing, and that plume was directly in the center of the stage. At least the Superdracos are canted outward away from the upper tank dome. Makes me think it might be worth the attempt if they do plan to use a Block 5.

Edited by .50calBMG

5 minutes ago, .50calBMG said:

New Shepard survived its max-Q abort intact and made its landing, and that plume was directly in the center of the stage. At least the Superdracos are canted outward away from the upper tank dome. Makes me think it might be worth the attempt if they do plan to use a Block 5.

NS was also going a lot slower at Max Q, less than 500mph. F9 will be supersonic, so even with the engines canted away, I think that shockwave right on the tank front is gonna kill it. :( I imagine they’ll expect the worst but hope for the best with a downrange recovery. 

Or, come to think of it, they might use the opportunity to test their new automatic FTS system, too...

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

NS was also going a lot slower at Max Q, less than 500mph. F9 will be supersonic, so even with the engines canted away, I think that shockwave right on the tank front is gonna kill it. :( I imagine they’ll expect the worst but hope for the best with a downrange recovery. 

Or, come to think of it, they might use the opportunity to test their new automatic FTS system, too...

EXPLOSIONS. EXCITEMENT. Lol

Anyway, without the payload and the aerodynamic nosecone, the biister can easily flip out of control.

10 hours ago, Scotius said:

Assuming Dragon is on top of S1, without a dummy stage 2. With a dummy S2, you get MaxQ, abort, S2 sep, then S1 can do whatever. Maybe.

17 minutes ago, tater said:

Assuming Dragon is on top of S1, without a dummy stage 2. With a dummy S2, you get MaxQ, abort, S2 sep, then S1 can do whatever. Maybe.

When a rocket necessitates a crew abort, I'll be very impressed if any part of it besides the cabin can be salvaged.

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

When a rocket necessitates a crew abort, I'll be very impressed if any part of it besides the cabin can be salvaged.

Um, yeah. I agree, abort would be because of an RUD.

The question is this particular test at maxq. Wreck a booster with remaining life, or not. 

12 minutes ago, tater said:

Um, yeah. I agree, abort would be because of an RUD.

The question is this particular test at maxq. Wreck a booster with remaining life, or not. 

How many still-usable Falcon 9 boosters are they ever going to discard after this one? I think they can afford to discard this one if necessary for the very important crew milestone.

13 minutes ago, cubinator said:

How many still-usable Falcon 9 boosters are they ever going to discard after this one? I think they can afford to discard this one if necessary for the very important crew milestone.

Exactly. They got really good at building and landing their boosters. Pre-block 5 F9 was very reliable considering that it flew so often.

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Since an abort sequence will generally try to shut down the engines if they’re still burning, and F9 starts its recovery maneuvering in space, I really doubt this booster will be able to save itself. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to recover it anyway, just to see whether it's possible. After all, the abort will be over the ocean, and they can always blow it up if it goes wrong.

Knowing SpaceX, I bet they’re going to try to recover the booster as well, or at least make a soft splashdown. They’d never pass up the opportunity to try new landing profiles or to get some data that might be useful for future launches. 

Edited by sh1pman