SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

A bit of already guessed at news about Starlink:

As I understand starlink is far to weak to work directly to cell phones. you need an box for it probably with some sort of antenna. 
Now you could use starlink with an mobile cell phone tower but this would not be very useful until you have pretty constant coverage. 

9 hours ago, magnemoe said:

As I understand starlink is far to weak to work directly to cell phones. you need an box for it probably with some sort of antenna. 
Now you could use starlink with an mobile cell phone tower but this would not be very useful until you have pretty constant coverage. 

back haul is the comms between the towers and the rest of the network. They're talking about being able to deploy cell towers to remote locations without having to get fibre to them or to arrange line-of-sight for microwave links.

Edited by Damien_The_Unbeliever

7 hours ago, Damien_The_Unbeliever said:

back haul is the comms between the towers and the rest of the network. They're talking about being able to deploy cell towers to remote locations without having to get fibre to them or to arrange line-of-sight for microwave links.

Ok, as I expected, however this require good coverage to be useful as you don't want 50% downtime on an emergency network 

5 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Ahh, haven't seen a launch in nearly a month, but I'm still semi jet lagged and probably need to drive tomorrow... Do I watch it?

yES., YOU WATCH IT. yOU PUMP YOURSELF UP WITH COFFEE OR COLA AND YOU TOTALLY WATCH THAT CRAP. ಠ_ಠ

Cuz there's another one coming up in FIVE DAYS and they're finally landing again!!!11!!!1!

ETA: also, haven't seen this mentioned yet here, but this upcoming launch is apparently their heaviest commsat ever:o

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

49 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

[...]

ETA: also, haven't seen this mentioned yet here, but this upcoming launch is apparently their heaviest commsat ever:o

[...]

Actually, it's the heaviest commsat ever, in addition to being the heaviest thing SpaceX has launched to GEO. It weighs 7075 kg, the previous record was 6910 kg. 

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Actually, it's the heaviest commsat ever, in addition to being the heaviest thing SpaceX has launched to GEO. It weighs 7075 kg, the previous record was 6910 kg. 

Note that SpaceX is launching the heaviest commsat ever without even needing the Falcon Heavy, and still recovering the booster. :cool:

Aka add wings, heat shield and engines to land.

If they use a falcon heavy booster should be alright.

1 minute ago, magnemoe said:

Nice launch so far but its expendable, that was an surprise. I assumed they would land downrange. Was it an block 5?

Yes all block 4s are thrown away.

This mission will have booster recovery from the youtube timeline.