SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

7 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

You see, SpaceX shows the future trajectory with a thick line and the past trajectory with a thin line. This is how it should be done, KSP.

Love to watch the orbit shift!

You can do it in the options. "Reverse line fade" or something like that.

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Is it just me or did that satellite kick off with a lot of rotation? 

Probably just a matter of perspective. The cameras on F9 S2 use some sort of fisheye or fisheye-like lens to get as big of a field of view as possible, which distorts the feeds.

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

They spun up S2 seconds before releasing it. 

7 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Probably just a matter of perspective. The cameras on F9 S2 use some sort of fisheye or fisheye-like lens to get as big of a field of view as possible, which distorts the feeds.

Er, no, I mean it tumbled a good 90O after release, looked very Kerbal. Usually the payload deploys straight as a laser beam. GC confirms everything is good with the sat today, just looked odd.

22 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Er, no, I mean it tumbled a good 90O after release, looked very Kerbal. Usually the payload deploys straight as a laser beam. GC confirms everything is good with the sat today, just looked odd.

S2 started spinning, then when the payload separated it retained its own angular momentum. You can see how it drifts to the side of the view as the camera rotates away.

15 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

I thought that with Iridium going into LEO, that SpaceX would do an RTLS landing? Isn't JRTI only used for GEO payloads? 

No it depends on the launch location. One hip for west coast launch and one for east coast launch. Saves fuel and trouble of dragging those drone ships around.

Edited by Xd the great

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I don't think it's an issue, satellites usually have their own orientation thrusters that can fix unwanted spin.

Edited by sh1pman

11 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Spinning up before payload release is normal procedure to ensure proper separation. Almost any launcher goes with such a procedure. For example you can look at the Ariane user guide and the values , turn rate and angles are completely documented so the customer knows what he has to prepare for. Of course there are many configurations and customer wishes but spinning up is nominal. 

11 hours ago, cubinator said:

S2 started spinning, then when the payload separated it retained its own angular momentum. You can see how it drifts to the side of the view as the camera rotates away.

Yes the satellite does not rotate away bottom away from us but it looks like it drift a bit to the side, this can well be planned to get away from second stage, not staying in front of it. 
Say an software fail start engine, just venting fuel or oxidizer or uses trusters could easy have second stage ram it.