SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

44 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Welcome to the 21st century, where a bunch of nerds sit around marveling at a rocket lifting its leg...  <_<

Yes, lifting legs is standard in KSP, its the rocket tipping over afterward who is something to watch :)

According to observations of SpaceX booster movements at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station on July 24, it appears that the company will reuse a Falcon 9 Block 5 booster for the first time ever on August 4, just over a week from today.

More important than the schedule, perhaps, is the fact that it would appear that SpaceX intends to reuse the first Block 5 booster (B1046) for this particular launch.

This is the Bangabandhu-1 booster, flown May 11th.

13 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Matches with the new cap and you can see some sort of hook on the tip of the leg, raise until locks 
Remember that legs are extended with RP1 as hydraulic. You have to tap this into an tank, either from piston or from an central tap valve as you will also tap leftover fuel. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Matches with the new cap and you can see some sort of hook on the tip of the leg, raise until locks 
Remember that legs are extended with RP1 as hydraulic. You have to tap this into an tank, either from piston or from an central tap valve as you will also tap leftover fuel. 

RP1 is used as the hydraulic for the grid fins; helium is used for extending the legs.

5 hours ago, tater said:

So the first B5 reflight will be 85 days after launch, we need to watch the timers on the next ones, and see how that time decreases.

To be honest, reflying after 3 months i very good. They are the first guys to reuse a orbital class booster.

48 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

*Technically* the shuttle boosters did this first, although SpaceX's method is about 50x better.

IIRC 58 54 days is the number to beat, the best turnaround from the early Shuttle days. I expect it to be beaten very soon.  :cool:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure
@&@&#^*#€¥!!

12 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

IIRC 58 54 days is the number to beat, the best turnaround from the early Shuttle days. I expect it to be beaten very soon.  :cool:

Yeah, the so called rurnaround involves raking apart the booster and refilling it with srb fuels.

Basically, it is more expensive to reuse the srb than to build a new one.

24 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I expect it'll be 14 days within two years.

Well Elon said block 5 was designed for 24 hr turnaround (presumably based on a RTLS timeline).  He also said the first booster would be pulled apart for a thorough inspection to validate the design, so hopefully there will be a faster turnaround for future boosters.

I really hate how nonchalantly they dissmiss the FH. 

Its like the ugly big brother. They love the F9, they wax lyrical about the BFR yet because FH was “hard” and “pointless because BFR” they just seem to not care about it. 

Its an incredible feat of engineering - not to mention utterly glorious to watch launch and land 

Edited by Jaff

33 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Does that mean SpaceX have enough saved Block 4 boosters for all predicted FH launches? Or are they so optimistic about BFR being available with no delays? :)

They have to redesign the entire booster, so it will be cheaper to build a new one.

The octaweb, fuselage, all have to be specified for the centre core.

1 hour ago, Jaff said:

I really hate how nonchalantly they dissmiss the FH. 

Its like the ugly big brother. They love the F9, they wax lyrical about the BFR yet because FH was “hard” and “pointless because BFR” they just seem to not care about it. 

Its an incredible feat of engineering - not to mention utterly glorious to watch launch and land 

I think it’s more like ‘FH is pointless because of hugely upgraded F9’. When your workhorse booster is putting the heaviest satellite ever into GTO and being recovered, I can see why you might be waxing lyrical about it. :)

I take your point - and I’m very much looking forward to the next FH launch myself - but I’m also happy getting my ‘incredible feat of engineering’ fix from watching progress on Block 5 reusability and BFR development!

Edited by KSK

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

Does that mean SpaceX have enough saved Block 4 boosters for all predicted FH launches? Or are they so optimistic about BFR being available with no delays? :)

Or they just built a Block 5B booster as the Block 5 variant for the FH core.

Edited by Tullius