SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

12 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

Just discovered it. Maybe an anomaly (or more) has been detected yesterday?

Very possible.

36 minutes ago, KSK said:

Just remember that this will need to be tested on the Moon first.

#ItWorksInKSP

Let's just build the BFS on Mars and then fly it back. That way we won't need as many launches of the BFR.

Schedule has been shaping up like this for a while, though, I think.

4 hours ago, AVaughan said:

No point in building a booster capable of 24 hr turn around if the launch pads need 1 week between launches.

@KSK mentioned it, but I will reiterate.

24 hour turn around has nothing at all to do with launch cadence. It's labor costs. The point is that the boosters should need almost no work to be ready for another flight. The turn around on an airliner is the time to empty the baggage, and refuel and resupply the aircraft, for example. This time, call it 30 minutes, is less than the actual turn around on, say, a flight from London to Singapore. The plane lands, and perhaps flies the next day after many hours, even if the turn around could have been accomplished in a few minutes.

12 hours ago, tater said:

It's labor costs.

Mexico, maybe ?

12 hours ago, tater said:

This time, call it 30 minutes, is less than the actual turn around on, say, a flight from London to Singapore. The plane lands, and perhaps flies the next day after many hours, even if the turn around could have been accomplished in a few minutes.

LCCs won't do this.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:08 AM, Bill Phil said:

"NASA" could literally mean a dude in a T-shirt or polo who's handing out bags full of stuff. 

I hope not though.

burlap.png

Crews for both test flights were announced couple of days ago. Have you missed it? Also, i noticed a distinct lack of stupid people on that list. Unless you call astronauts with couple of flights under their belts "stupid people".

Edited by Scotius

4 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

"Over several months" makes me think "then their info is likely several months out of date."  SpaceX designs tend to evolve....rapidly.

True, though to start making stuff they need to gel the design at some minimal level. I'd say the 9m mandrel (and hence hence BFR diameter) is at least something to assume for now.

2 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

"Over several months" makes me think "then their info is likely several months out of date."  SpaceX designs tend to evolve....rapidly.

A lot of it is explicitly out of date. "In 2008 it was Falcon XX, with these stats. In 2014 MCT had these stats. In the 2016 conference the ITS had these stats. And in 2017 BFR had these stats. Also, Elon says more news "in a month or so" as of 3 weeks ago."