SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

37 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Wow, thats amazing. Even the engine section looks like it needs a good scrub and is as good as new...

I recall that was one of the big upgrade points on B5, since it was taking so much damage before. 

I wonder why they’re still pulling the legs off, tho? They’ve obviously gotten the folding thing at least partly working.

30 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I recall that was one of the big upgrade points on B5, since it was taking so much damage before. 

I wonder why they’re still pulling the legs off, tho? They’ve obviously gotten the folding thing at least partly working.

I think they need to upgrade their transporter to be able to handle the legs.

Just now, Elthy said:

The metallic ring which holds the rocket for transport seems like it would collide with the legs. They propably are building an alternative allready...

That sounds... entirely reasonable... :blink:

But now one is given to wonder why they didn't start work on it sooner... :rolleyes:

Spoiler
9 hours ago, Elthy said:

The metallic ring which holds the rocket for transport seems like it would collide with the legs.

They won't add a collider to this part, so the legs will just pass through it. That's the plan.

Edited by kerbiloid

20 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Mo

Shiny. Are we not at all concerned about the really big fins near the front affecting the stability of the rocket? Or even the canards? Looks great but it feels like it would prone to flipping.... 

Abort motors are good though. 

13 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Shiny. Are we not at all concerned about the really big fins near the front affecting the stability of the rocket? Or even the canards? Looks great but it feels like it would prone to flipping.... 

Abort motors are good though. 

It looks like the canards fold up. With good flight control software, they might even be what stabilizes those great big fins effectively in the middle of the rocket until the booster separate. (Kerbal isn't always the best example with such)  I have to assume SpaceX has some really smart people who've figured the aerodynamics out. The fact that they now have those canards, and folding fins to execute that tricky flip, is pretty good evidence of this. :wink: 

Like Musk has said previously, full aerodynamic control and stability during re-entry, between the canards and the fins I think they've got that, now.
Theoretically, of course...<_<

BTW, stage 1 gridfins were disabled in the render, apparently.

Sorry for my Musk tweet repost, I didn't see the earlier posts on my phone for some reason.

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Definitely canards up front. And I swear those look like pods for abort engines too.

No way it gets LES for the whole stage 2. That would require an insane amount of instant-on thrust.

1 hour ago, tater said:

No way it gets LES for the whole stage 2. That would require an insane amount of instant-on thrust.

Not for the whole stage two, just for a separable (maybe gliding, with those canards?) crew module, as some have pointed to needing for NASA (or anyone else) to trust the thing with people, at least at first. 

15 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Not for the whole stage two, just for a separable (maybe gliding, with those canards?) crew module, as some have pointed to needing for NASA (or anyone else) to trust the thing with people, at least at first. 

I could see a pod, yeah.

I wasn't seeing anything that looked like that in the image, though.