SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Hey everyone,

For the first time since Dragon 13, in last December, I'm sharing a video of mine on the forum:

It was the first occasion to me to film a launch with my new camera in the light of day, and I would be really interested to know what you think about it and how to improve it. I hope to reach 100 subscribers soon to be able to offer some live broadcast on the forum.

NSF has launch date set to January 8.

Regarding the launch Monday from VAFB:

Instead of RTLS, they might land on JRTI, but look at the green area, it will be very close to shore.

Edited by tater

I just got a chance to watch (missed it yesterday and been really busy so didn't have a chance to get to it until now).  I noticed at ~21:01 to 21:04/21:05 in the video, something whizzes past the F9 core while it's on its way back to land.  Anyone know what that was?  Here's a link to the video at around that time:

https://youtu.be/PhTbzc-BqKs?t=1263

It looks dark when against the blue of the planet, but almost grey when it gets into the darkness of space.  Chunk of ice? Meteorite? Satellite?  It moves past really quickly and doesn't really appear to come from the stage, but below it.

18 minutes ago, Ignath said:

I just got a chance to watch (missed it yesterday and been really busy so didn't have a chance to get to it until now).  I noticed at ~21:01 to 21:04/21:05 in the video, something whizzes past the F9 core while it's on its way back to land.  Anyone know what that was?  Here's a link to the video at around that time:

It looks dark when against the blue of the planet, but almost grey when it gets into the darkness of space.  Chunk of ice? Meteorite? Satellite?  It moves past really quickly and doesn't really appear to come from the stage, but below it.

Noticed this as well. I thought it was a chunk of ice, but I’m really not sure. Too slow for a meteorite.

Edited by sh1pman

11 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

It occurs to me the SpaceX could prank us when the first BFS lands on Mars: just eject a pair of empty boots onto the surface and they could say they put boots on Mars! :D

Don't give anyone else ideas! There are 5 Mars landers scheduled for the 2020 window, they can easily beat SpaceX! Mars 2020, ExoMars 2020, a Chinese mission, MOM-2, and a very small Japanese one that will probably end up piggybacking on something else.

2 hours ago, Ignath said:

I saw that, too.  Glad you posted this.  It can't be a satellite or meteorite.  My guess would be part of the launch that was falling faster than the booster as it was flipping around, then the booster caught up and passed the chunk of whatever it was.

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Don't give anyone else ideas! There are 5 Mars landers scheduled for the 2020 window, they can easily beat SpaceX! Mars 2020, ExoMars 2020, a Chinese mission, MOM-2, and a very small Japanese one that will probably end up piggybacking on something else.

Yeah, but BFS is the only one likely to be able to spare the mass or volume, unless someone sends baby booties 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

4 hours ago, tater said:
Instead of RTLS, they might land on JRTI, but look at the green area, it will be very close to shore.

I wonder if this would be close enough to shore for a better video connection?

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

It occurs to me the SpaceX could prank us when the first BFS lands on Mars: just eject a pair of empty boots onto the surface and they could say they put boots on Mars! :D

Also, this really sounds like the kind of thing SpaceX would do. Remember who put a car in space once...

I don't doubt that there will be many, many funny moments and ridiculous bits of cargo sent to Mars on the first BFS to get there (I'm thinking that they'll make a Futurama reference, personally!), but I can garuntee something. 

Someone will complain about SpaceX vandalising Mars with whatever they send there. 

3 hours ago, Ignath said:

Came here to ask the same question.

1 hour ago, Dartguy said:

I saw that, too.  Glad you posted this.  It can't be a satellite or meteorite.  My guess would be part of the launch that was falling faster than the booster as it was flipping around, then the booster caught up and passed the chunk of whatever it was.

Seems like the most likely possibility but I don't know of anything that large that comes off the booster.

Actually nothing comes off the booster at all.

43 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Could it be the retaining band from the second stage engine bell? 

No.