SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

10 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

...I think I heard of a certain starship with no emergency escape system planned, doesn’t seem to be the best idea now, does it?..

Yeah, I think any crew version should have a (frickin huge) crew capsule on top with LES until they demonstrate several thousand flawless flights.

Oh come on! They've made rocket launches (almost) boring to watch, and now, the first one I miss watching live, this happens.

Anyway, I like how the core still extends landing legs, as if they're going to help with water landing.

34 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Oh come on! They've made rocket launches (almost) boring to watch, and now, the first one I miss watching live, this happens.

Anyway, I like how the core still extends landing legs, as if they're going to help with water landing.

Joking aside, I think they did.

Logically, extending the legs should increase the booster's moment of inertia, thus helping slow its spin* - and from watching the video again, I think they did just that. Okay, the legs weren't ever going to stop the booster falling over, but I'm thinking that taking out that last bit of spin before landing probably helped it to stay intact when it did.

* Edit - apologies to @Mad Rocket Scientist who already explained this bit.

Edited by KSK

Was there, and it was pretty stressful in-live. Almost no one could see it with their eyes due to the distance, but as I was looking at my monitor I could not believe what was happening!

Jump to 3:02, the swaying movement is terrifying!

33 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I wonder what that burst of flame was.

The Falcon often sits and burns around the bottom after landing. I assume that was the same gasses...but they bubbled up out of the water all at once and ignited.

Huh...no... it definitely appears to have squirted out.

Edited by Brotoro

There's also talk on NSF of possible roll correction with a singe engine. It seems like if the engine is not directly in axis with the rotation (for example, if the rocket is not exactly spinning around its long axis) you can use a continuously changing gimbal angle to provide some "roll" control. Think more like anti-swirling than direct roll correction. 

Of course doing all that, while estimating the steering and gravity losses from that in addition to maintaining normal stability with major constant forces that are dependent on changing velocity and air pressure, would be a piece of control software that makes PID controllers look as advanced as using feathers on the ends of arrows.

18 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

There's also talk on NSF of possible roll correction with a singe engine. It seems like if the engine is not directly in axis with the rotation (for example, if the rocket is not exactly spinning around its long axis) you can use a continuously changing gimbal angle to provide some "roll" control. Think more like anti-swirling than direct roll correction. 

Of course doing all that, while estimating the steering and gravity losses from that in addition to maintaining normal stability with major constant forces that are dependent on changing velocity and air pressure, would be a piece of control software that makes PID controllers look as advanced as using feathers on the ends of arrows.

Image result for tars

Well, it’s about time they made those flights more interesting, since it was starting to get ho-hum. These B5’s must be pretty beefed up since they now appear to be able to handle the “ body-slam” of tipping over. I wonder if it could survive a droneship topple without exploding. Not flyable, of course, but no kaboom...

They should have enough time to dry it out to be a candidate for the MaxQ abort test 

Now here’s a question: are the engines’ control systems  designed to redline the remaining engines if one fails?

3 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Was there, and it was pretty stressful in-live. Almost no one could see it with their eyes due to the distance, but as I was looking at my monitor I could not believe what was happening!

Jump to 3:02, the swaying movement is terrifying!

Wow, thanks for that great video! I’m sure at the end you were thinking “Where’s the kaboom? After that descent there should be a (an earth-shattering) kaboom!