SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Well for those who wondered how the Falcon 9 First Stage went from an uncontrolled spin to a nearly perfect splashdown (and yes, I would call this a splashdown of sorts  as I hae done this a few times in Kerbal , the video Elon Musck released shows the entire thing.. Too bad we didn't get to see the splash down..

Until Now

Now where the original video cuts out the actual vehicle was in fact going trans sonic when the feed cut out, so in a manner of speaking this evhicle was a 16 story tall telephone pole hurtling towards the ground at about 3230 meters pers econd (or 11 km /h or 640-700 MPH. yet as it got into teh thicker parts of the atmosphere the spinning decreases and in the end the spin was almost neutralized by the face that the air friction and drag helped slow it down..

In the end the computers knew what to do, and in the end instead of an earth shattering kaboom we get a nice soft sqishy spalash..

Shows really how reliable the craft is without a pilot or SAS on board . Not even Mechjeb can pull off a ggeat like this

Space _Coyote

18 minutes ago, Space_Coyote said:

Well for those who wondered how the Falcon 9 First Stage went from an uncontrolled spin to a nearly perfect splashdown (and yes, I would call this a splashdown of sorts  as I hae done this a few times in Kerbal , the video Elon Musck released shows the entire thing.. Too bad we didn't get to see the splash down..

Until Now

This isn't new... Elon released this on his twitter like an hour after launch

12 minutes ago, GearsNSuch said:

So wait... That's not how they normally land the boosters? All of mine work that way...

Yeah, and the spin stabilization on reentry works real nice, too.

I'd wager it is much more stable to climb on than it appears. It's just so freaking big.

I want to see some closeups of the engines. I don't know whether smacking the water would have done any damage or not.

Looks like a big section of the interstage peeled away on impact. Interesting, given that the interstage is carbon composite and thus likely constructed under tension.

If they slap another interstage onto that booster and use it for the Max-Q abort test, it would be ridiculously cool. That way, if the rocket fails early...hey, even better!

If they had gotten it out of the water yesterday, I'd have expected them to at least test it on a stand, but now I'm wondering if the salt has already done its work. I still think we'll see individual engine tests, though, although they probably won't be public. Flying again is a big leap, but if it happens I'll be pleasantly surprised.

1 hour ago, insert_name said:

Teslarati got some decent photos of the booster, sounds like the interstate is wrecked, making lifting the booster a lot harder

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-first-falcon-9-block-5-booster-casualty-battered-but-intact/

Yes that would make lifting harder. Not sure if you could simply drill some holes near the bottom and lift by that. Damage to interstage is not an issue. 
Also wonder if the tanks has taken damage. Pretty heavy damage to interstage, make me suspect the tanks are damaged to.