SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

The cap attaches to the interstage clamps which are used to hold the S2 tanks.

So they might be able to attach to the clamps even with one of the 4 mostly ripped off. Getting it out of the water might be non-trivial.

Yeah, looking at those engines, I don't think that this booster will ever go to space, today or otherwise. I suspect that it'll get torn down, and then displayed at Hawthorn. 

Or, maybe they'll donate it to a museum? I bet many aerospace museum curators would give several limbs to have a flight proven F9 display, especially if its the first one to ever be displayed! 

45 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Yeah, looking at those engines, I don't think that this booster will ever go to space, today or otherwise. I suspect that it'll get torn down, and then displayed at Hawthorn. 

Or, maybe they'll donate it to a museum? I bet many aerospace museum curators would give several limbs to have a flight proven F9 display, especially if its the first one to ever be displayed! 

The engines don’t seem to look that much different than usual, don’t often get to see up inside in direct light like that. I would think the alloys used would give some degree of corrosion protection, since they have to deal with very high temps and exposure to LOX and combustion. Bigger issue would be fittings up inside the thing, unprotected bolts, electronic connections, wiring, sensors, etc. 

40 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Grind fins would be usable, turbo-pumps to if refublished. bells no, perhaps you could fefublish the complex injectors. 
Electronic is obviously out, think the stuckture has taken damage.

I'm so glad they didn't scuttle it or something. What an incredible mission though, honestly. Sure, monetarily they might have lost, but data-wise this seems like a gold-mine. Sure, there's lots of sensor data to pore over from rockets that fail at some point, but actually being able to examine the whole thing back at the warehouse afterwards is just huge.

Lol! The Interstellar edit.

"Come on TARS!"

36 minutes ago, tater said:

Last year (around this time of year), we saw ISS with Dragon right behind. So cool!

I've seen that twice, and the first time I was able to drag my whole family out to see it the first time. They thought it was pretty neat.

I know there's a website to tell when it's visible, but I haven't used it in awhile. I need one that'll text me!

2 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

need one that'll text me!

Check out Sky Guide, also GoSatWatch. Smartphone apps that will do just that. Well, give you a phone notification. Also point you to other interesting stuff in the sky, like yesterday’s conjunction of Mars and Neptune.