SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

This of course adds an orientation requirement.

True, that or as a crew vehicle, it's intended to have a BBQ spin (as Apollo did) for thermal management.

As failure modes go, this is fine.

A failure of solar panel deployment likely sends them home immediately,

A failure to be able to maintain any attitude at all, is also an abort situation (can't dock if you can't point accurately).

With the always deployed panels, there is just the one failure mode, and it would be a failure anyway.

So, big question. Does it not have a heat shield on these photos? PICA-X is supposed to be black, and it should be covering the insides of SuperDraco pods and bottom of the capsule. It's like that on SpaceX renderings of Dragon 2. But on these photos there's just metal.

12 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I think that’s so they don’t burn the fins off with the SuperDracos in a low-altitude abort... which would be a really, really bad time to have your fins burnt off.  <_<

Your logic has no place here! Lol

looks much better from the other side. 

On a B5 booster the black and white scheme is gonna look mighty fine 

13 hours ago, Jaff said:

Is anyone else also really really irritated by the fact they obviously have 4 way symmetry on in the VAB to build the capsule but rotated it 45 degrees when they attached the trunk?!

it looks like 3 way symmetry! 

Also so is it me or is that trunk a seriously off white colour? 

You need the three way symmetry for @Nertea‘s surface-mounted solar arrays.

6 hours ago, tater said:

True, that or as a crew vehicle, it's intended to have a BBQ spin (as Apollo did) for thermal management.

As failure modes go, this is fine.

A failure of solar panel deployment likely sends them home immediately,

A failure to be able to maintain any attitude at all, is also an abort situation (can't dock if you can't point accurately).

With the always deployed panels, there is just the one failure mode, and it would be a failure anyway.

Don't think it will spin as it has solar panels on one side and radiator on the other. 
Else you are right is that if they could not control the craft enough for pointing the solar panels towards the sun you can not dock. Just deorbiting would be hard enough. 

3 hours ago, sh1pman said:

So, big question. Does it not have a heat shield on these photos? PICA-X is supposed to be black, and it should be covering the insides of SuperDraco pods and bottom of the capsule. It's like that on SpaceX renderings of Dragon 2. But on these photos there's just metal.

Dragon 1 also has a metallic looking heatshield (cover?):

1-spacexdelays.jpg

250px-COTS2Dragon.6.jpg

I don't exactly know why the heatshield isn't exposed, but im geussig its some sort of paint/cover to protect the heatshield from being exposed to the sun for too long.

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Dragon 1 also has a metallic looking heatshield (cover?):

I don't exactly know why the heatshield isn't exposed, but im geussig its some sort of paint/cover to protect the heatshield from being exposed to the sun for too long.

Heat shields don’t like the thermal gradients in vacuum. This is why Apollo 13 didn’t ditch the dead SM.

2 hours ago, DDE said:

Heat shields don’t like the thermal gradients in vacuum. This is why Apollo 13 didn’t ditch the dead SM.

I thought it was as it still provided some services. Anyway dragon uses an different heat shield but  you also want the heat shield-decopler-trunk to be aerodynamic 

26 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

B1054: “Boss? I... I can’t feel my legs, boss. Where’s my legs, boss? And my arms fins are numb... where’s my grids?!? I have no grids! Something is very wrong here boss...”

Yeah, I’d say they have some unusual sensor readings...

Dangit, you’ve wormed this into my head: 

[cue chunky speed metal riff]

Darkness, imprisoning me, all that I see, absolute horror,

I cannot launch, I gotta scrub, trapped in myself, fuel tanks held by the TEL...

Spacex... has taken my TEA... taken my TEB... taken hydraulics,

Taken my fins... taken my legs... taken my soul...  left me expendablllllllllle... 

[epic solo]

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

41 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Dangit, you’ve wormed this into my head: 

[cue chunky speed metal riff]

Darkness, imprisoning me, all that I see, absolute horror,

I cannot launch, I gotta scrub, trapped in myself, fuel tanks held by the TEL...

Spacex... has taken my TEA... taken my TEB... taken hydraulics,

Taken my fins... taken my legs... taken my soul...  left me expendablllllllllle... 

[epic solo]

Dang it, I can only give that one like. One of my favourite songs