SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

51 minutes ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

Although the scrub was a bummer, I found it interesting that they proceeded with the count to T-30s to obtain additional information. Has this ever been done before- proceeding with the count even though a scrub has already been called, but not launching?

They scrubbed at 30s.  They waited until then to see if the upper winds would improve enough to fly.

7 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Whats this?

A water tower. With legs. That they won't need for years, but are furiously building now. For reasons.

It has this part, too:

Because tanks for water deluge need to be really thin and shiny? And taper.

And the concrete with the triangles are counterweights for a huge crane.

9 minutes ago, YNM said:

Anyway, what's considered to be a dangerous high-level wind for F9 ?

I'm unsure, I think the principal concern is shear.

Edited by tater

Some people are saying its just a mock-up but considering Elon tweeted that there will be cool pics of Suborbital Hop Starship  in """"""""4""""""""" weeks, so you would think they would have made some progress on the Suborbital Hop Starship and not waste it on something else.

On 12/20/2018 at 11:53 PM, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I've only seen a wrapped F9 once, at the CCAFS, but we were told specifically not to take pictures

I must admit... we drove back to it after almost 30 minutes (exits are a bit... uncommon in that area), but I was a bit worried about possible consequences if we got caught. Anyway, they are online now and I cannot step back :)

Also, here are some pictures from this morning:

DSC08208

DSC08223

DSC08229

(#WokeUpAt4ForTheFourthTimeBanUpperWinds)

9 hours ago, Scotius said:

I will do my best to watch it. That should ensure launch will be boring, textbook and as unexciting as rocket climbing to space can be :D This way you won't lose much, especially considering there will be no landing.

Sounds like I didn’t miss anything anyway. Guess I’m not the only one plagued by high winds. 

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Some people are saying its just a mock-up but considering Elon tweeted that there will be cool pics of Suborbital Hop Starship  in """"""""4""""""""" weeks, so you would think they would have made some progress on the Suborbital Hop Starship and not waste it on something else.

An mock-up or an boilerplate for ground handling would have the three fins, folding the two fins would be smart if you lowered it horizontal. An grasshopper could do with static legs and having them more sturdy also makes sense as you would have rough landings, no you can not test aerodynamic with it but it could help with booster handling to. 

I don't want to jump to conclusions or get excited too soon, it still probably is/might be a water tower, statue, mockup for ground testing, etc.

...But what if? What if SpaceX are seriously building the first flying test vehicle of an interplanetary spaceship in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere?

Well, it would explain the counter-intuitive materials change tweets.

2 hours ago, XB-70A said:

I must admit... we drove back to it after almost 30 minutes (exits are a bit... uncommon in that area), but I was a bit worried about possible consequences if we got caught. Anyway, they are online now and I cannot step back :)

[...]

I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble, and they are posted on reddit and the NasaSpaceFlight  forums all the times, and they are never removed. Pictures through open doors or windows into their factory sometimes are though, but I don't think the posters have ever gotten into trouble. 

13 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

it still probably is/might be a water tower, statue, mockup for ground testing, etc.

I think its unikely for it to be a water tower, now considering it has a nosecone, that exactly resembles the Starship and the legs don't look like they are made to support a structure that has to be 40m above the surface. Although that would make a fancy water tower...

Its alot more likely is a mock-up for testing. Doesn't look like it has any holes for testing the cranes of the spacecraft or anything but it could be used test filling (from the ground) and to see if it explodes or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the actual Grasshopper. It isn't carrying anything beyond LEO in places it can contaminate, or has any crew or special payloads inside it could get sick or contaminated , so building it outside wouldn't be that bad. Grasshopper missions are rather crude.

22 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I don't want to jump to conclusions or get excited too soon, it still probably is/might be a water tower, statue, mockup for ground testing, etc.

...But what if? What if SpaceX are seriously building the first flying test vehicle of an interplanetary spaceship in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere?

Musk, of course, raised more than a few eyebrows with his “material change” tweet, but I think he sometimes gets too much credit for decision-making at SpaceX. He does not run the place in a vacuum, after all (yet <_<), and any significant decisions no doubt have an approval process to go thru. This “counter-intuitive” change has no doubt been in the pipes for a while, now. I think the heavy steel structure is probably a water tower or control tower, but the aluminum stuff, especially that nose cone-looking thingy, sure does look like space ship parts. 

But we’ve still got the composite bits in LA. 

Hold up... wait a sec...

Could the big steel structure with the fixed legs actually be a grasshopper-type testbed for the SuperHeavy booster maybe?