SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

7 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Could the big steel structure with the fixed legs actually be a grasshopper-type testbed for the SuperHeavy booster maybe?

They said they'd do starship then the booster, but this wouldn't be the first time they've done something unexpected.

Buckling stable on the pad sounds like a big plus.

Hot lox handling should be much simpler too.

300 series stainless :

Stainless Steel Tubular. The 300 series consist of austenitic chromium-nickel alloys. Austenitic contains a maximum of 0.15% carbon and a minimum of 16% chromium, and nickel is the important alloying element. This creates superior corrosion resistance and ease of fabrication. maintain their strength at high temperatures.

http://www.nealloys.com/300_series_alloy.php

Edited by RedKraken
high temp strength

Im going to say this again, the "steel" structure isn't a water tower.

There are differences between a watertower and the 3 legged structure in the image. First of all, it has 3 legs, and tripod water towers don't see to be common is usually 1 single structures supporting it all, or 4+ legs. Then there is the angle of the legs, wich point more outwards than a regular water tower does. Remember, a water tower needs to be 40m tall in order to suck water up, and those legs, when extended to 40m will snap when filled with water. Normal water tower legs point straight down or a litte bit outwards, but not as extreme as the one in the image above.

iStock-476298680.jpg?itok=1S6FkB8R&resiz

I'd like to see a cartoon of Elon Musk and the press standing in front of an almost finished BFR, with Elon mentioning yet another upcoming major redesign of it.

I'd do it myself... if I could. And I can't, so it'll probably just remain an idea.

Edited by Delay
Typo

10 hours ago, sh1pman said:

- Elon trashing international cooperation in space industry. 

I’ll warn you when Roscosmos stops having a seizure and starts to try and throw shade on Our Lord and Saviour again.

11 hours ago, sh1pman said:

I think that every new BFR will be a radical redesign of the previous one.

Think the overall design is pretty set now, it might go back to more like the first interaction or the top fin might change a bit either dropping or making smaller. 
Probably changing the hatch a bit.

And if that they are building is an grasshopper its quite an change, first they build it outdoor and vertically. Note that the real complex part of it is the bottom with engines and plumbing. 
They probably assume they will loose the first grasshopper pretty fast anyway. New engine who will handle different then firing coming down fast. New control system using pressurized CH4 and O2 this will also be used for pressurizing the tanks. 
Might also use cold gas trusters for fine operations at least in space but gas will be O2 or CH4. 
Guess they will change to cargo hatch probably more like the shuttle one. Easier to load cargo also unload then landed on moon or mars. 

Manned, an sort of escape system is an pretty obvious change.  Probably multiple versions, something used to go to Mars and then act as an Mars base will be different from something who acts like an huge dragon capsule to take people to orbit. 

14 hours ago, sh1pman said:

- Elon trashing international cooperation in space industry. 

I read that as trashing the US rocket industry, not trashing international cooperation.

4 hours ago, DDE said:

I’ll warn you when Roscosmos stops having a seizure and starts to try and throw shade on Our Lord and Saviour again.

He's saying that a Russian engine is brilliant. He's also stated in the past that his favorite rocket that isn't his is Russian.

A friend was texting me stuff about SpaceX last night, and I was too busy to pay attention, lol. I missed the tweet-fest, lol.