SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

5 minutes ago, DDE said:

Gwynne’s engineers really outdid themselves on the “brutal simplicity” front. It’s beginning to sound like an actual workhorse.

Michail Timofeevich would be proud.

Its a shame that the grand old men of soviet rocketry could not live to see what spacex is doing now.

Korolev, Glushko, Mishin, Chertok and many others.

I'd like to think they would have been thrilled.

(Glushko may have been surprised (or maybe not) to find his engines powering american rockets.)

8 hours ago, NSEP said:

So, it looks like they went for active cooling, removing the heat shield. Their new stainless steel alloy may indeed survive the reentry if actively cooled, but what about everything else? Wouldn’t it fry everything inside?

Edited by sh1pman

20 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

That's kind of the point of the active cooling? I'm guessing that at least some of the methane gets vented overboard to expell heat, and the reflective alloys will seriously cut down on the amount of absorbed heat. 

Hmm. Expelling methane into ionized oxygen. Hmmmmmmm.

3 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Wouldn’t it fry everything inside?

In order to survive in deep space, the interior would be insulated from the outer shell. Ditto for entry.

4 hours ago, RedKraken said:

grand

Mishin

Nope!

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Hmmmm indeed. I think you could pump the methane around under the skin, negating the need to expel any precious fuel into the open air.

Probably won’t work. Risks evaporating most offyour propellant before it makes it into the preburner injectors.

Something just occurred to me. SpaceX has been messing with Stage 2 recovery for years now. Not testing actual recovery, but via instrumentation on S2, and looking at what the actual forces are on the vehicle during reentry. Forget S2 recovery, and think of what data they could glean from this work. They typically do a deorbit burn, and also vent excess props, right?

They can vary the entry profile. They can vary the mass of the vehicle (and hence ballistic coefficient). The mass difference is also in this case an amount of cryogenics in the tanks, which changes the thermal behavior of the vehicle during reentry.

There has been talk of various active cooling techniques that could be used on Starship (inside the tanks). Makes me wonder what they might have learned playing with S2...

17 minutes ago, tater said:

Something just occurred to me. SpaceX has been messing with Stage 2 recovery for years now. Not testing actual recovery, but via instrumentation on S2, and looking at what the actual forces are on the vehicle during reentry. Forget S2 recovery, and think of what data they could glean from this work. They typically do a deorbit burn, and also vent excess props, right?

They can vary the entry profile. They can vary the mass of the vehicle (and hence ballistic coefficient). The mass difference is also in this case an amount of cryogenics in the tanks, which changes the thermal behavior of the vehicle during reentry.

There has been talk of various active cooling techniques that could be used on Starship (inside the tanks). Makes me wonder what they might have learned playing with S2...

I think that a subscale test version of starship would be the right way to go. Just a shiny stainless steel fuel tank with fins that can be placed on top of a flight-proven S1, with just enough fuel to get to orbit and then deorbit. Allows them to test regenerative cooling, fins, reentry profile, everything else. Much more relevant data than just S2 deorbit. Since it has no payload, they can add a lot of parachutes to land the thing, and actual propulsive landing can be tested with the Grasshopper they’re currently building.

49 minutes ago, tater said:

Yup. There’s this impression out there that the place rises and falls on the whims of Elon Musk and his flights of fancy, but that’s just not true. All of these changes we’re seeing now have no doubt been in the pipes for a very long time, Musk has made a bigger habit of surrounding himself with some very smart people. There’s a method to this madness, and none of these decisions have been made lightly. 

21 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I think that a subscale test version of starship would be the right way to go. Just a shiny stainless steel fuel tank with fins that can be placed on top of a flight-proven S1, with just enough fuel to get to orbit and then deorbit. Allows them to test regenerative cooling, fins, reentry profile, everything else. Much more relevant data than just S2 deorbit. Since it has no payload, they can add a lot of parachutes to land the thing, and actual propulsive landing can be tested with the Grasshopper they’re currently building.

I think this is more or less what we’re going to see “in June” as Musk has said, re: S2 recovery attempts for data logging. Something like a hybrid S2/Starship, probably more conventional construction, that drops off a few Starlinks (since either way it’d be pretty radical changes to risk on a customer’s payload) then tests all the reentry stuff. Combine that with the data that will be flowing back from the hopper tests going on at the same time, and all the data they’ve gathered so far and this fantastic ginormous fully-reusable launch vehicle starts to sound more and more reasonable. 

Heck, even their timelines don’t sound all that unfeasable with that. :confused:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

9 hours ago, DDE said:

Probably won’t work. Risks evaporating most offyour propellant before it makes it into the preburner injectors.

This will require hull, piping for coolant, insulation and finally tank. They might simply heat up gas in the large tank while the liquid fuel is in the small return tanks. you would need to either vent or burn over-pressure in the trusters.
At least for the composite version it was an single hull for the tanks. 

6 hours ago, magnemoe said:

This will require hull, piping for coolant, insulation and finally tank. They might simply heat up gas in the large tank while the liquid fuel is in the small return tanks. you would need to either vent or burn over-pressure in the trusters.
At least for the composite version it was an single hull for the tanks. 

A lot with regards to tankage configuration depends on how they plant to vacuum-start the Raptor.

You know what that white ball is?

Saturn_V_Rocket_Stage_S_IVB_-_1992.jpg

A supply of evaporated hydrogen fuel for the TLI restart sequence. The Merlin, in contrast, uses an external, finite helium tank to spin up the turbopump.

So a lot of hot gas might be handy.

I also recall a major engine that solved ullage by using a smaller initial tank that had either some sort of a positive displacement system, or capillary retention of liquid, rather than needing a shove from the RCS. I’ll skim through Sutton during lunch break.

Edit: Agena, and it were pistons. Damn, that’s a lot of nifty features for an early space tug. Surface tension was used on LK’s Block E.

Edited by DDE

Has there been any news or new information about the solar panels that will be used on the Starship? To my knowledge, aside from an appearance in the DearMoon video, there has been very little about them, not even estimates of power output. 

Edited by SaturnianBlue

44 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Rp-1 would be very sooty and has deposits on the cycle right?

I don't think it is any worse than on the nozzle, since the gas generator doesn't need to burn extremely fuel or oxidizer rich. Plus, the RS-27A, F-1, and RD-107 engines all use RP-1 and the gas generator cycle.

18 hours ago, Xd the great said:

How does a merlin engine run a fuel rich open cycle with RP-1?

Because American rocketeers are afraid of superheated oxygen, which would be the other option.

Also, random Internet quote:

A fuel-rich gas generator mixture ratio produces better engine specific impulse than an oxidizer-rich mixture ratio due to higher specific heat capacity of the turbine gas

That explains a lot: the Soviets were obsessed with staged combustion. I’ve found only one oxidizer-rich GG engine (NK-9); Sutton claims there was only one storeable propellant fuel-rich engine, and naturally you have the fuel-rich hydrolox designs.

7 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Rp-1 would be very sooty and has deposits on the cycle right?

Being able to deal with those deposits is part and parcel of using a hydrocarbon fuel. This is exactly why X-15 opted for ammonia instead.

Edited by DDE

2 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Yeah. Changing one's mind in 2 months is still a bit more than a few hours. This is the new architecture.

*Starship is on the pad ready for first test flight

*At T-10 Elon cancels liftoff and announces extensive changes to the architecture