SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

About reentry on Starship: I think it will aerobrake in multiple passes when coming back from cislunar or interplanetary space to help with the peak thermal loading on the steel structure. In the past, this has (IIRC) never been used, since most spacecraft have life support equipment in a service module that has to detach before reentry. The only other vehicles to not have that limitation have been either unmanned (and lighter, making the thermal load much lower) or confined to LEO, where multi-pass reentry doesn't make sense.

It's quite frequently used in KSP to reduce peak thermal and aerodynamic loads, and if Starship does use some kind of heat sink cooling (not strictly heat sink, but dumping heat into the fuel counts), this will allow that to work far better, as the radiators will have a chance to remove heat between passes.

6 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I don’t remember seeing that black stripe down the side before. Did I never see that angle or is it new? Painting the weld line black to quickly locate it for inspection between flights?

Looks like the FTS/cableway thing that all the cables and tubes go along. I think it has always been there, just never painted black.

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

About reentry on Starship: I think it will aerobrake in multiple passes when coming back from cislunar or interplanetary space to help with the peak thermal loading on the steel structure. In the past, this has (IIRC) never been used, since most spacecraft have life support equipment in a service module that has to detach before reentry. The only other vehicles to not have that limitation have been either unmanned (and lighter, making the thermal load much lower) or confined to LEO, where multi-pass reentry doesn't make sense.

There has only ever been one manned re-entry vehicle that has come back with such speeds (Apollo). So it's kind of strange to write about it as if this is some sort of general rule.

Anyway, Apollo did kind of feature a sort of multi-pass aerobraking. The re-entry profile featured a first dip into the atmosphere, then a bounce upward (not all the way out), and then a final descent. I believe this was to moderate peak heating and g loading.

Edited by mikegarrison

2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

It's quite frequently used in KSP to reduce peak thermal and aerodynamic loads, and if Starship does use some kind of heat sink cooling (not strictly heat sink, but dumping heat into the fuel counts), this will allow that to work far better, as the radiators will have a chance to remove heat between passes.

That's just gradual aerobrake; combined with the considerable lifting power of the huge empty fuselage, you should be able to skip quite a few times.

2000px-Skip_reentry_trajectory.svg.png

75% success rate during Zond.

@mikegarrison

On 12/28/2018 at 8:13 PM, tater said:

I just skimmed that, where did he say that? It's certainly a test article. As for actual starship (orbital)... Dunno.

He missed in that it was mounted on an concrete slab and did not have engines. 
Some talk on the nasa forum that it might only have internal tanks as in header tanks or larger. 
Also it looks more dented than it is because its shiny. That makes dents show way stronger. 

As an example, look at F9 boosters. Entry burn, landing burn. The hopper needs only the landing burn, and a burn to get to to whatever target altitude it starts from. This is a tiny subset of propellant compared to full tanks.

Also:

9 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

There has only ever been one manned re-entry vehicle that has come back with such speeds (Apollo). So it's kind of strange to write about it as if this is some sort of general rule.

True, but Orion and most other theoretical interplanetary missions include capsules with service modules.

9 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Anyway, Apollo did kind of feature a sort of multi-pass aerobraking. The re-entry profile featured a first dip into the atmosphere, then a bounce upward (not all the way out), and then a final descent. I believe this was to moderate peak heating and g loading.

8 hours ago, DDE said:

That's just gradual aerobrake; combined with the considerable lifting power of the huge empty fuselage, you should be able to skip quite a few times.

2000px-Skip_reentry_trajectory.svg.png

75% success rate during Zond.

@mikegarrison

I'm wondering if we'll see something beyond even this, like nearly a full orbit to allow the heat in the fuel or structure to be radiated away.

17 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Are we assuming the holes cut in the central column are for thrusters?

I have no idea what they are for. I'm in full wait and see mode---and unlike other wait and see issues in the past, we might literally know in a few days at the rate they are working. One morning there will be a tweet and the holes will have thruster bells in them (or not) and we'll know :)

27 minutes ago, tater said:

I have no idea what they are for. I'm in full wait and see mode---and unlike other wait and see issues in the past, we might literally know in a few days at the rate they are working. One morning there will be a tweet and the holes will have thruster bells in them (or not) and we'll know :)

The holes looks weird, some sort of large tubing inside them. Would you also not put one set of thrusters high and one low for stability. having an ring around the center is weird. 
One issue with BFS is that its way less aerodynamic stable then landing than the Falcon 9 lower stage who is pretty aerodynamic stable with the drag from the grind fins and the interstage hole. 
BFS is bullet shaped with huge fins on the bottom, it also has to go from the sideways drag mode to vertical for landing. 

One idea I have read is that it eiter just have internal heater tanks as only tanks or just the bottom part is tanks and the top is pretty much an cap, this makes some sense. and it can explain why the top 
thrusters are so low. 
But then it should have more thrusters at bottom. On the other hand as I understand grasshopper did not use RCS just engine gimbal

39 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

They are literally assembling a rocket in a big open field with sheet metal.

I can't even.

I can't express how much I love that this is happening.

We go from waiting for tweets, or IAC meetings... to watching crowd-sourced images of it being built in front of our eyes.

19 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Yeah, like, even kerbals build their rockets indoors. 

Kerbals also test their new rockets with full crew on board. If it fails, it was a test, otherwise it’s a mission. Hopefully, SpaceX isn’t going to outperform kerbals in that particular way...

10 minutes ago, tater said:

I can't express how much I love that this is happening.

We go from waiting for tweets, or IAC meetings... to watching crowd-sourced images of it being built in front of our eyes.

Apparently Elon Time finally downloaded the Ludicrous update.