SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

11 hours ago, sh1pman said:

How would it save the passengers from ULA sniper though?

(that question was only half sarcastic)

No COPVs to be sniped, the only head pressure is autogenus pressurization, and landing tanks are tiny targets not visible from the outside.

Direct image link:

DwmagBZX4AEbUN-.jpg:orig

They've got a little starman below it.

Just now, Spaceception said:

Is there any chance they could begin tests in February? Or are they still going for March/April?

NSF is still taking photos of domes (that will probably go inside) being welded together. So it may not be completely done yet.

2 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

NSF is still taking photos of domes (that will probably go inside) being welded together. So it may not be completely done yet.

Any link to those?

Also:

This is for sure flight hardware, but... I don’t see any feet on the landing legs? It looks like it’s attached to the concrete...?:/

2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Any link to those?

This thread has all the updates and photos: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=47120.0

EDIT: Checking the timestamps again, they might have gotten the domes in since that, actually.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

12 hours ago, sh1pman said:

A military asset that got literally zero dollars of government or military funding, lol. AFAIK, only Raptor got some funding from the Air Force, but that had been way before BFR concept was even announced, in the form of ITS, which wasn’t going to go anywhere but Mars. Falcon and Dragon are closer to being military assets than BFR. Unless they find oil on Mars, that is... 

But muh Google!

Furthermore, both the ITS and BFR are low-cost LEO superheavy boosters. And according to the same jarheads, the only purpose a superheavy booster can actually serve are big non-modular toys for SDI.

They extend this logic to Energiya-5, BTW. The separate third (orbital) and fourth (TLI) stages make them scream with glee about the Moon program being a mere cover-up.

Edited by DDE

8 hours ago, Xd the great said:

What about hitting the regenerative cooling pipes?

Oversize them by 50% so a single broken channal can be covered by it's neibors, and test the system for leaks before entry, so you have time to do field repairs.

Wait

What

(EDIT: Didn't see @Mad Rocket Scientist's post, but can't seem to figure out how to add quotes to existing posts)

As cool as this is, I don't think that's gonna happen. But the Starhopper is basically running on a 1:1 Elon time to regular time scale, so there's a CHANCE I might be proven wrong. That alone is seriously exciting.

Besides, with a regular 1:2 Elon time, this thing would probably be testing early next year, which is STILL crazy.

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

2 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Wait

What

As cool as this is, ilI don't think that's gonna happen. But the Starhopper is basically running on a 1:1 Elon time to regular time scale, so there's a CHANCE I might be proven wrong. That alone is seriously exciting.

Besides, with a regular 1:2 Elon time, this thing would probably be testing early next year, which is STILL crazy.

Absolute madman.

That said, if it’s anything like Unnamed Space Vessel, the prototype isn’t getting to orbit.

3 minutes ago, DDE said:

Absolute madman.

That said, if it’s anything like Unnamed Space Vessel, the prototype isn’t getting to orbit.

*Untitled Space Craft. Which, by the way, would be a great name for one of the BFR's.

Courtesy of Google, although I know it's been posted here before:

Spoiler

K0fR5MB.png

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

6 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

*Untitled Space Craft

I call them Hermes.

Which one?

All of them. Every damned playthrough, even when I’m not making an effort, my basic 3-seater ended up being named “Hermes”.

In fact, just name the first BFR “Hermes”.

*watches ESA sniper join ULA sniper*

On a separate, entirely relevant note, the first Tintin strip released 90 years ago yesterday.

elon_musk.png

This was the plan all along, wasn't it?

Edited by DDE