SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

10 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

"Elon Musk changes name to Jeb Musk"

Later, before landing on Mars,

"Jeb Musk changes name to Jeb Kerman"

All... is... revealed.

Jokes aside, isnt anyone worried about potential rain ruining stuff?

There's already Elon Kerman in the KSP names list.

5 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

What about the wires, avionics and stuff? Batteries? Fuel tanks? Or is everything stainless?

I don’t see any of the ancillary equipment on the site.

Oh, and yes, the fuel tanks are stainless.

16 minutes ago, tater said:

NASA looked at loads of things for Shuttle.

Well, not really, “what Maxime Faget wants, Maxime Faget gets”, so once crossrange requirements were established, the range of acceptable designs shrunk severely, mostly to what had come out of Marshall and Langley and was rubber-stamped by the private industry. This wasn’t gonna fly:

ChryslerSERV_1.jpg

Edited by DDE

On 1/19/2019 at 11:24 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

I would also think that If they decided to touch down on land, the SD's could be used to cushion the landing, much like how Soyuz uses solid rockets at touchdown

The problem there is tipover. Chutes bring the vehicle down with substantial horizontal velocity. New Shepard has a shape that is extremely tipover-resistant, so it's not an issue, but Soyuz can tumble and roll pretty hard. Rolling on impact would damage Dragon 2 and make reuse much more difficult.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:10 PM, Starman4308 said:

Complexity is just as bad in software engineering as hardware engineering. It's something where the chance of this being necessary has to be weighed against the cost of developing and validating the software, plus the risk of the propulsive landing routine accidentally activating on a nominal landing...

Yeah...on the one hand, it would suck to have a chute failure and not have propulsive landing programmed...yet it would suck much, much more to have a successful chute-pop get torched by a computer glitch. I mean, LOCV either way, but the latter just feels worse.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:21 PM, Xd the great said:

I am not so sure if they have enough fuel after deorbiting to do this.

Depends on how much orbital maneuvering they do.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:47 AM, Xd the great said:

And wouldnt the propulsive landings be harder without altitude to surface, which the dragon is unlikely equipped with?

I think that using rockets to touchdown at surface is something SpaceX has gotten pretty good at....

On 1/21/2019 at 2:24 AM, tater said:

Innnnnnnteresting.

27 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

New Shepard has a shape that is extremely tipover-resistant, so it's not an issue, but Soyuz can tumble and roll pretty hard.

Note the increased wall slope, and presense of landing legs, on Federatsya.

4 hours ago, DDE said:

I just love how they have pieces of a giant rocket just casually scattered about a boneyard.

This. This right here. Stainless or no, stuff like this is usually built in clean room, yes? I would think there’d be a huge risk of dirt, rocks, small desert creatures and other foreign contaminates getting into the thing. It’s all fun and games until some hapless frozen pigeon gets sucked into a turbo pump. 

42 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Depends on how much orbital maneuvering they do.

And in case of LES mode, they spend all fuel to lift, and anyway need chutes to land.

And what if they could not vent out the fuel in orbit? Then the chutes should be oversized to land the fueled ship.

Edited by kerbiloid

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a25953663/elon-musk-spacex-bfr-stainless-steel/

Yes. Very easy to work with steel. Oh, and I forgot to mention: The carbon fiber is $135 a kilogram, 35 percent scrap, so you’re starting to approach almost $200 a kilogram. The steel is $3 a kilogram.

It’s just 301 stainless.

With steel, now you’ve got something where you can comfortably be at a 1500 F interface temperature instead of, say, a 300 F, so you have five times the temperature capability at interface point. What that means is that for a steel structure, the leeward side of the back shell does not need any heat shielding.

On the windward side, what I want to do is have the first-ever regenerative heat shield. A double-walled stainless shell—like a stainless-steel sandwich, essentially, with two layers. You just need, essentially, two layers that are joined with stringers. You flow either fuel or water in between the sandwich layer, and then you have micro-perforations on the outside—very tiny perforations—and you essentially bleed water, or you could bleed fuel, through the micro-perforations on the outside. You wouldn’t see them unless you got up close. But you use transpiration cooling to cool the windward side of the rocket. So the whole thing will still look fully chrome, like this cocktail shaker in front of us. But one side will be double-walled and that serves a double purpose, which is to stiffen the structure of the vehicle so it does not suffer from the fate of the Atlas. You have a heat shield that serves double duty as structure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/ain1kk/elon_musk_why_im_building_the_starship_out_of/

Edited by RedKraken
add reddit link