SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Is that a real actively cooled heatshield segment or are they just heating a sheet of stainless steel

Temperature looks normal for uncooled steel. I’d have expected post-combustion otherwise, as heated methane would finally find oxygen to combine with. Compare with unburnt RP-1 injected into the nozzle skirt, leading to a flame front almost a nozzle’s length down from the actual end of the nozzle:

cdd859afc2d70644f218c7c77d4e4f08.jpg

32 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Is that the F1?

Naturally.

32 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Also: How much does "aerospace grade 304 stainless steel" cost?

$3 per KG sounds too cheap.

Bulk order, minimum machining? They probably charge per sheet area, not mass.

Edited by DDE

24 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Is that the F1?

Also: How much does "aerospace grade 304 stainless steel" cost?

$3 per KG sounds too cheap.

That is indeed the mighty Rocketdyne F1 engine. What you see wrapping around the middle of the nozzle is the exhaust manifold for the gas generator.

Specifically, the F1 is a gas generator open-cycle engine, where some of the kerosene and LOX is diverted to power the turbopumps. The fuel-rich exhaust from the gas generator was then routed into the nozzle mid-way; the relatively cool generator exhaust gases would keep the nozzle extension cool, rather than requiring active regenerative cooling. The exhaust gases themselves are the dark band underneath the nozzle.

Also, I'm not sure how much aerospace grade 304 steel costs, but SpaceX has in the past been willing to use non-aerospace-grade materials, something that may have contributed to the failure of CRS-7.

So a little bit of poking around regarding stainless steel, Alro sells 304 stainless that meets AMS 5513. "Aerospace grade" is vague at best so AMS 5513 is probably a good reference point but when it comes down to it, SpaceX is buying enough steel for this vehicle that a mill would probably make them their own grade. Anyway, Alro sells drops (left over pieces) that are around $5/pound. So maybe they're getting down to $3/kg but that's quite the jump. Also, the only thing that really makes it "aerospace grade" is inspection and certification. Hypothetically, without the inspections, a material is just as good but you can't guarantee that.

@sevenperforce regarding the tank volumes, I screwed up the spherical cap volume. I didn't include the tube but my estimated dimensions are as follows:

Spherical cap: a: 9 m, h: 1.71 m

Upper tank cylinder length: 5.3 m

Lower tank cylinder length: 4.1 m

Fuel tank: 451 m3

Ox tank: 261 m3

My guess is that the "heat shield test" is really just them heating up a panel of steel on one side and then using a camera to measure radiative cooling on the other side. 

Alternately, they very well may have fabricated a laminated steel shield with (empty) cooling channels and they are testing its radiative and reradiative properties.

18 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I wonder if they could fly it without the fairing if they really wanted to.

I am sure they still need to slap the avionics package somewhere on top of that upper bulkhead, under the cone. Then they could fly it without the fairing, but the avionics would get wet.

They may also be running RCS out through the sides of the fairing. Don't know if those holes are for fuel lines.

Also don't know if they have built the ten-tonne-class hot-gas thrusters yet. They can fly without RCS easily enough (I don't believe the original Grasshopper had cold-gas thrusters) but they will probably want them at some point. They could also bolt nitrogen bottles to the top of that bulkhead and just run cold-gas thrusters through the holes as a stopgap.

With the fairing being so easily removable (and, now, replaceable) I can see them doing some incremental upgrades as they fly.

Yeah, the fairing is for looks as far as the hover tests go. No RCS required, at least for early testing and while the avionics need to go someplace, it doesn't matter where, really (unless they also plan on having radar/etc on the bottom).

They could fly the thing sans fairing, but Musk wants it to look like a rocket.

11 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, the fairing is for looks as far as the hover tests go. No RCS required, at least for early testing and while the avionics need to go someplace, it doesn't matter where, really (unless they also plan on having radar/etc on the bottom).

They could fly the thing sans fairing, but Musk wants it to look like a rocket.

Incidentally I do not see any ducting for wiring, etc running through the rocket internally. They can slap it to the side, sure, but I somehow doubt they would.

The fairing has legitimate purpose -- first, to protect avionics, fuel lines, and so forth from the elements; second, to give a nice draggy element for later tests. They will want to test engine-out landings at high drop rates; at some point they are likely to do an ascent, then either cut engines or throttle them way down to pick up speed. Having the fairing up top will help keep it radial-out.

Absolutely. Might as well make it look cool, though, vs making the top a cylinder (like an F9 stage 1 interstage).

What's cool is that they are in effect building a test stand to fire multiple Raptors, and a software test platform (to test control/landing/etc), and they will have done this, even with the fairing problem in less time, and with less money than it would have cost to build a static test stand for a single engine at Stennis.

11 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

I am sure they still need to slap the avionics package somewhere on top of that upper bulkhead, under the cone. Then they could fly it without the fairing, but the avionics would get wet.

They may also be running RCS out through the sides of the fairing. Don't know if those holes are for fuel lines.

Also don't know if they have built the ten-tonne-class hot-gas thrusters yet. They can fly without RCS easily enough (I don't believe the original Grasshopper had cold-gas thrusters) but they will probably want them at some point. They could also bolt nitrogen bottles to the top of that bulkhead and just run cold-gas thrusters through the holes as a stopgap.

With the fairing being so easily removable (and, now, replaceable) I can see them doing some incremental upgrades as they fly.

Guess they have the aveonic at the bottom, easier access is one an lots of space down there. they will even have cargo at the bottom on final version. 
They would add rcs on top and bottom, and top don't have it. Original grasshopper did not have it, you see the 

One point with the fairing and the fins is that it make it behave more aerodynamic like the real thing. might also be center of gravity related. 
They have landing data but only for falcon 9 first stage with an different engine so they need to adjust software to new hardware. 

Might be relevant to test with RCS down the line, probably depend on how the orbital version comes along. 

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Elon got a new swimming pool. <_<

A compact fuel tank, designed for small upper stages and landers. Rockomax takes no responsibility for the Dawton Kerman Aboveground Pool Company stickers on the inside because it totally is not a swimming pool frame we stole from their back lot.

Rockomax Conglomerate

27 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Could they still make the SuperHeavy booster from CFC? It doesn’t face the same heating loads. It could at least be an interstage. 

This would make zero sense, they won't do it.

One of the reasons Falcon 9 is such a great rocket is commonality. Two highly related engines. One propellant, and one oxidizer.

The "long pole" of BFR with CFC was in fact the CFC issues. The engine was a done deal. It might have issues, but they have a great propulsion team, and all it takes is blowing up some engines at this point. Software they have a handle on.

The remaining issue is now transpirational cooling, but again, this has been a thing since the earliest days of rockets/ICBMs, so I think they can sort this out. The remaining issue on a crew version... life support (this is non-trivial).