SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

On 2/2/2019 at 9:58 PM, NSEP said:

No, don't think so. A Methane-Oxygen combustion reaction produces only Carbon Dioxide and Water, no pure Carbon, unlike Kerosene/RP-1

Found this awesome scheme of methane oxidation mechanism.

Mechanism-of-methane-oxidation-2.png

And that pales into puniness compared to the igniters for the Shuttle SRBs. From Wikipedia:

"The fire 2 commands cause the redundant NSDs to fire through a thin barrier seal down a flame tunnel. This ignites a pyro booster charge, which is retained in the safe and arm device behind a perforated plate. The booster charge ignites the propellant in the igniter initiator; and combustion products of this propellant ignite the solid rocket motor initiator, which fires down the entire vertical length of the solid rocket motor igniting the solid rocket motor propellant along its entire surface area instantaneously."

Emphasis added. You could light one helluva candle with that puppy. Mind you, I will concede that lighting however many Raptors the SuperHeavy first stage requires won't exactly be a quiet understatement either.

Edited by KSK

8 hours ago, michal.don said:

Someone apparently took your Kraken trilogy as a manual instead of a novel... :) 

Well, seeing as we’re all still here (we are, aren’t we?), if there were any eldritch abominations in attendance, Elon must have just punched them in the face. :D

36 minutes ago, KSK said:

The fire 2 commands cause the redundant NSDs to fire through a thin barrier seal down a flame tunnel. This ignites...

Who designed the ignition system, Rube Goldberg? :blink:

Must be, since it actually worked... well...

Actual relevant content:

13 minutes ago, cubinator said:

That's a pretty hefty engine there.

No joke.

I told my kids today that the engine is "this big" (arms out) and is powerful enough to pick up our house.

Then I did the math.

It actually is powerful enough to pick up our house.

What the hell did they screw that test stand to?

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Well, seeing as we’re all still here (we are, aren’t we?), if there were any eldritch abominations in attendance, Elon must have just punched them in the face. :D

Who designed the ignition system, Rube Goldberg? :blink:

Must be, since it actually worked... well...

Actual relevant content:

It was at 60% thrust? And cameras cannot withstand the force already?

10 minutes ago, Silavite said:

I really hope that they don't spend months getting all the infrastructure in place... and then a hurricane hits in September.

I'm fairly sure that they will have it flying before September. And as far as the actual permanent launch pads, the stuff in Florida has to contend with hurricanes as well, and I think they've gotten pretty good at that.

2s, 60%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_main_engine#Development

The individual engine component tests were followed by the first test of a complete engine (0002) on March 16, 1977. NASA specified that, prior to the Shuttle's first flight, the engines must have undergone at least 65,000 seconds of testing, a milestone that was reached on March 23, 1980, with the engine having undergone 110,253 seconds of testing by the time of STS-1 both on test stands at Stennis Space Center and installed on the Main Propulsion Test Article (MPTA). The first set of engines (2005, 2006 and 2007) were delivered to Kennedy Space Center in 1979 and installed on Columbia, before being removed in 1980 for further testing and reinstalled on the orbiter. The engines, which were of the first manned orbital flight (FMOF) configuration and certified for operation at 100% rated power level (RPL), were operated in a twenty-second flight readiness firing on February 20, 1981, and, after inspection, declared ready for flight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocketdyne_F-1#History

Test firings of F-1 components had been performed as early as 1957. The first static firing of a full-stage developmental F-1 was performed in March 1959. The first F-1 was delivered to NASA MSFC in October 1963. In December 1964, the F-1 completed flight rating tests. Testing continued at least through 1965.

Edited by kerbiloid

7 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:
8 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Are they planning to do any more Raptor test firings? More thrust, pressure, longer duration maybe?

Or are they going to disassemble this one and inspect every part of it for potential damages?

Probably both, eventually.

<wild-ass speculation>

assuming 200t, 330s-356s, 25MPa, 1.3m engine :

They need 3 tested engines for hopper, 7 for starship, and a dozen initially for SH (31 all up), plus a few spares.

I think they will be building close to 50 engines over the next 12 months.

IIRC  a merlin 1D takes about 30 hrs to make, and costs them about 500k USD. (M1D Vac is about x8 time and cost.)

I don't know how raptor will compare to that. They might aim to build one a week at cost 2-3 million each.

I expect they will pull a few apart. They might run destructive tests to find pressure/temp limits.

They will need to run 180-200s for booster engines, 300-400s (full tank) for the starship to orbit and maybe another 300-400s (full tank) for any missions to moon/mars.

Another 300-400s (half-tank) to come back from mars. Landings add another 30-40s.

So an individual mars engine might end up burning 100%throttle for a total of ~1200 seconds, and consume 0.600x1200 = 720 tonnes of propellant before it gets home for a service. The remaining engines will do maybe half that.

We might see engine mods after this series of stand tests, after the hopper tests, and after Starship1 does its test regime.

</speculation>